When a deer blows

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
rem700

When a deer blows

Postby rem700 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:17 am

When a deer blows at you, how long is that hunting stand dead.
Robert

8uck5nort

RE: When a deer blows

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:40 am

I have had deer blow at me. Run off and 15 minutes later more deer move through.

It also depend on the situation and kind of blow you got. The dreaded stamp, blow meaning "I see and smell you"! Yup that deer is gone. But if it's dark and you get the short blow that means "I don't see, can't smell you, and you made a noise" then that is not the end of the world. In fact give a short blow back. I have actually had does circle back and investigate. The think you migh be another deer milling around in the dark.

I don't think it signals the end of the location. One just busted ya. If it is a good spot and the wind is right stick with it. With the rut coming up anything can happen.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

metamorahunter

Postby metamorahunter » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:44 am

You won't see THAT particular deer for a while, but other deer could come by any minute.  I have been busted by one deer in a group of 3 or 4.  I have had the deer that busted me blow and run off blowing to beat the band.  The other 2 or 3 deer have on occasion actually stood there and watched her carry on and then went right back to their own business.  Every situation is different, but getting blown out by a deer does not necessarily "blow" your hunt...pun intended[:D]

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:40 am

I always bring up the story of Madge, my troublesome doe, in cases like this.  My experiences with her just go  to show you how variable and capricious this can be.

Madge got on to me over a couple of years and was forever searching me out at this one stand.  When she'd find me, she'd stand there and snort and stamp-- sometimes for 20 minutes at a time.  The other deer just ignored her and kept grazing for acorns.  This went on for two seasons.  It got to be like this weird game of hide and seek with Madge.  I don't know why she never decided to just give up and stay away from that one oak grove.

The point is with some deer, they get wise and go away and never see them again.  Others never get a clue and don't connect the dots and come back time after time and it's always a fresh experience for them.  Some never learn to look up, and always think that the smell is coming from something unseen on the ground (I've got a couple like that now.)  You just don't know.

Part of my practice is to try and keep the deer from patterning me.  If they have a week or more to come back around the stand and see that whatever it was is gone, they're more likely to come back.  It's also a matter of why they're at the stand in the first place.  If this is a major travel route or a major feeding area, they'll probably be back.   I've taken a deer out of a middle of a herd one weekend, and had that same herd back chowing on acorns the next weekend.  On the other hand, if this is a place that is non-essential to the deer and they aren't depending on it, they may adjust their travel schedules or travel routes and you never see them again.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:20 am

When this happens to me, I used to blow back, make a grunt sound, or something that other deer do, to hopefully make that deer think I'm another deer.  I've just recently heard that this may educate them in a negative manner?  Not sure how to go about this. 

If they blow, and it's nothing totally negative that you did to make them do this, I would think they would come back and not be totally affected by this.  I guess it all depends on that deer's personality.  I personally believe they may get spooked more than we think, by other animals, including other deer. 
QDM!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:27 am

The stand is most likely fine.  The deer that blew, may or may not come back, depends on why she did it.  Even if she spotted you, she may come in again and may even check the stand, but she won't necessarily connect you being in the stand at a latter time with you being what scared her the prior time.  If you're sitting still and scent free you should be fine the next time she comes through.

As for other deer, the one blowing won't keep them from coming in. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:07 am

Indeed!

I've gotten into snort-fests with deer.  They blow, I blow back.  That can be great fun.  It really confuses them.  I've had these exchanges go on for quite some time.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:50 pm

Not long...it can still be huntable that sit or day even, just going to take a bit for the area to calm down.  Unless you have a doe tag and can see the blowin' wench .....JK[;)]
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

buckfarmdude

Postby buckfarmdude » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:45 pm

Read the article in the November 2009 issue about calling deer. This will tell you what you need to know about when a deer blows, or "snorts". I have a little snort call made by Lohman that I got for like 7 bucks. Buy one and learn how to use it. It's a valuable tool.
Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for Thee O God."

rem700

Postby rem700 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:57 am

i can get 4 doe tag this year. last year that is what i did, she blow at me and i droped she. 
Robert

Next

Return to General Discussions