Pre-Orbital gland lure

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
jtakesh

Pre-Orbital gland lure

Postby jtakesh » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Read the article about how great the Pre-orbital gland lure is, noticed the plug put in on where to purchase the lure, checked it out and they want a very high price for it.
I am very curious as to to how they aquire so much lure form a deer's head gland, enough to fill enough bottles to put on the market, I'm sure these excretions are very miminal from the deer. I wish that Consumer Reports would test these products to see if they are what they should be.
Can anybody answere this question. :| :|

Ohio farms

Re: Pre-Orbital gland lure

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:29 pm

It may be synthetic or highly diluted. Some of that stuff would be better sold in a butcher shop next to the baloney. ;)
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:52 pm

I use stonycreek whitetails stuff.
Its like the consistency of a jelly or something along those lines. The jelly helps it stay on the branches better. I dont think there is much actual "lure" in it... The jelly solution is probably 90% of it. It works about 70/80% of the time. I think it depends more on how you set it up. I usually start with my scrapes in Sept. When I first started using it I did not have much luck. Over the years I have been getting better at making mock scrapes and its been working out pretty well. I also use their buck urine and that helps a lot too. they have a website you can check out. I don't think the pre-orbital stuff is on the website. You can call and ask them for it or probably email them. It's worth a try if you are interested in it. Like I said tho, I think location dictates how well it goes. You can't just go making scrapes anywhere... which is what I initially did.... You also have to be very scent conscious of yourself when you are making them too. Some of the guys I talk to do pretty well with mock scrapes, as far as hunting goes.. im 50/50 on it, but for getting good game cam pics of multiple deer, you can't beat it.

Good Luck

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:14 pm

jtakesh wrote:Read the article about how great the Pre-orbital gland lure is, noticed the plug put in on where to purchase the lure, checked it out and they want a very high price for it.
I am very curious as to to how they aquire so much lure form a deer's head gland, enough to fill enough bottles to put on the market, I'm sure these excretions are very miminal from the deer. I wish that Consumer Reports would test these products to see if they are what they should be.
Can anybody answere this question. :| :|

I can answer it, since I wrote the article. Yes, at $30 for a small bottle, pre-orbital gland lure seems expensive. Figure it this way.
First, it's a glandular lure, so you are right -- a deer produces very little in the way of glandular secretions compared to urine.
Second, every deer produces urine over and over. All the deer farmer needs to do is have a way to collect it, and they acquire very large volumes. Not so with pre-orbital gland lure. Any buck that produces pre-orbital gland lure can do it only once. It comes from dead deer.

Those factors alone will make the price much higher than a bottle of doe pee. Then...
third, it's very difficult to get access to enough bucks to produce the stuff. No one has a herd of bucks they collect pre-orbital secretions from. Instead, the lure maker has to get access to hundreds of dead bucks. That's not as easy as you might think. Taxidermists generally won't cooperate because the procedure in collecting it is to scrape up any secretion that's on the outside of the duct, and then cut into the pre-orbital area and take out the gland itself. Taxidermists don't want anyone messing with the heads that way.
Fourth, each secretion/gland must be isolated from others in the collection process, adding to the cost of collection.

Every luremaker has his own ways, and most of them try to keep it a trade secret, so there may be more than one way to do this. But this luremaker was married to a pharmacist, who taught him how to liquify it, emulsify it, clarify it, and blend it with something odorless and completely innocuous to make it into an oily liquid that can be applied to the licking branch.

That's why it's so expensive -- $30 for a 1¼ ounce bottle from http://www.shopdeerhunting.com.
Now, here's why it should be considered inexpensive:

First, the buck offers his glands only one time. It's not a renewable product like urine is. The supply of urine is high; the supply of pre-orbital secretions is low.
Second, it lasts a long, long time. It's stable, unlike urine which begins changing composition the minute you open the bottle.
Third, a little goes a long way. You use only a drop at a time, unlike urine which you use ounces at a time.
Fourth, based on my experience, one bottle lasts all through the preseason scouting period beginning at least in June, all the way though deer season. If you were to use urine during that time, you'd use at least a bottle a week. If you were to use urine over a 26 week period, at $10 a bottle that's $260. One $30 bottle of pre-orbital gland lure lasts that long, and if you have any left it will still be good next season.

If you follow what I've said, you'll probably wonder how they can sell it for only $30 a bottle. And I figure he ought to be raising the price. I know how many bottles he can make, and it's a limited number.

As far as Consumer Reports testing stuff like this, I can't see that happening for a lot of reasons. For one thing, they wouldn't know where to begin. For another, they could buy up every bottle in existence with what they'd spend on lab testing, and still have money left over.

Steve.
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:33 am

I remember back. . . 20 years or so ago that folks were talking about making mock scrapes. One of the ideas was similar to what was in this article here: without actually handling the branch, break one so it hangs down a bit. However, back then the idea was to spit into the break in the branch. Supposedly human saliva had a close enough smell so as to convince deer to start using it. The trick here is to fool at least one deer into sharing the branch.

I don't remember how the pre-orbital glands figured into this. process, but I wonder if anyone else remembers this DIY idea, and if they had any luck with it.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

CGArtcher

Postby CGArtcher » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:57 am

There is a never ending supply of new gizmo's, gadgets and scents out there every year. Some work, others not so much. However in most cases you will never know unless you try.
There is also the issue that it may work great in one area of the country and not in another. I can tell you from 25 years of bowhunting experience in the Northeast, that rattling is a risk. More often I have seen bucks sneak away from rattling. Don't get me wrong. It does work sometimes, but not all the time and the same goes for all the different lures and scents out there.

I have used a scent lure that, the first time I tried it, I had 7 different bucks come in to check out the scent wick in 5 hours. Then just a week later on a farm 20 miles away. Although I saw bucks travel down wind. Not one came close to check out the scent.
I tried the very expensive VS stuff one year and at least my exerpience was, I had O success or even much interest from a single deer. But now I know and have moved on.

Just like people deer have personalities and moods and if there were a product out there that had a monster buck show up every time you put it out, what challenge would there be in going hunting?

All these things are just tools, and it is up to each person to decide if the cost is worth the opportunity to try it.

I have had my doubts about this pre-orbital lure. But have tried other stuff and decided that this year, I will try this lure and see what happens.

Return to General Discussions