Do deer really eat hickory nuts?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
deerslayer333

Do deer really eat hickory nuts?

Postby deerslayer333 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi all I was just wondering if anyone has seen a deer eat hickory nuts? I've read on several different sites that they will eat them but I just don't see how the can crack the shell to get to them! I have to use a hammer to do it and last I knew deer don't have opposable thumbs :lol: If they do they sure leave a lot of them on the ground in my hunting area.
One shot, one kill. Semper Fi.

charlie 01

Re: Do deer really eat hickory nuts?

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:06 pm

I have often wondered that too. I have seen them eat mulberries, wild grapes, and black rasberries. It will be interesting to see if anyone has seen them eating them. I too don't see how they can.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:52 am

I have not seen it. Around my place, the squirrels seem to eat all the hickory nuts. However, I know every book that is written on deer put hickory nuts on the cervid's menu. If they're eating them at my place, I sure don't see any sign.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:43 am

Maybe they are a garnish, like that little sprig of parsley on you plate in them fancy places...... ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:01 am

Yes they do ...and don't ask me how but I have stands set up next to both pignut and shag bark hickory trees and have watched them...it's strange ...because they roll them around in the mouths and manage to crack them...they eat my hazel nuts and those are even harder than the hickory......They also walk off with them in their mouths...for I find them all over the property....bits and pieces of husk and shell on the deer trails...This unlike the remnants from squirrel and chipmunk
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

w4sar

Postby w4sar » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:38 am

Thanks Ms. Badger, good to know. The acorn crop is almost non-existent by my stands this year, but there are lots of hickory nuts.
David J. Snyder
Orange County, NC

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:59 am

I think we'd be surprised at the things that deer actually do eat. Has anybody seen the youtube vid of the deer eating the bird? I seem to remember reading somethign along the lines that deer will hickory and other nuts with harder shells, but only after the more desirable and easier to eat foods have been mostly eaten.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:50 pm

yeah Deebz, I saw that video of a small deer eating a bird. They will also strip the bark off trees if they are hungry enough. That would be why our parks had to thin them out, they were killing a lot of trees!
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

deerslayer333

Postby deerslayer333 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Wow I had no idea since I have never witnessed them eating those nuts myself. Well I guess my hunting spot should be good for a long time after all the acorns are gone because there are more hickory trees than oaks. Thanks for all the responses.
One shot, one kill. Semper Fi.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:24 pm

I would suggest that deer eat hickory nuts, but not all hickory nuts. Some are, as mentioned above, so hard that you need a hammer to open them. Others have shells that are quite thin. I suspect deer favor some hickory nuts over others.

Steve.
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Return to General Discussions