Getting Permission to hunt

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Rick3499

Getting Permission to hunt

Postby Rick3499 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:39 pm

It seems like it's getting harder and harder to get permission to hunt land here in the northeast. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to be able to buy land and that seems like almost the last way to get decent hunting land that isn't getting tons of pressure come hunting season. What has led you to be successful in gaining permission to hunt someones land in the past? I am not afraid of going door to door or calling as I've been doing both of these. Any tips or hints as to a good way to ask permission to hunt would be much appreciated, thanks!

Jslotter

Re: Getting Permission to hunt

Postby Jslotter » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:12 pm

There really isn't any tricks to getting permission. Just a simple stop at a landowners home and asking if they are willing to give you permission to hunt the land is all there is to it. If they say yes, be willing to offer something in return like venison from the deer you kill on their land, or maybe help cutting wood, or mowing any trails can get your foot in the door. Don't demand that they take anything you offer, just put it out there you are willing to give in return for access. If they don't want any gifts or help, then thats a good deal. Leave it at that. But, it doesn't hurt to let them know. If they say no, then be polite and go to the next place down the road. Keep in mind the time of day too. If its a farmer, I like to go and ask before or after harvest time or whenever they are not busy working on the land. Maybe a Sunday or later in the day.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Return to General Discussions