Your guys opinion

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
nsondag

Your guys opinion

Postby nsondag » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:53 am

Hey guys, I've been hunting for 10+ years now, since I was 9. We have a shotgun spot along the Mississippi river and I am not concerned with big bucks down there at all. I have a pretty busy schedule and have recently started bow hunting behind my house to save driving time on about 50 or more acres of woods. We have 2 food plots both with wheat (i just was sitting in my deerstand doing some scouting and 2 does walked within 20 yards of me as I was typing this part on my phone) and Just a mix bag you can buy at the local hunting store. I have had a trail camera set up for 2 months or so and have a countless number of pictures of does and their little fawns. Every year there seems to be a group of 10 or more does on just my property. It's surrounded by farm fields with a small creek that runs through the back of it. 5 years ago while I was bow hunting I seen a very nice mature 9 pointer but he stared me straight in the eyes for a couple minutes and never looked back. Haven't seen him since. Last year, I seen many 4 and 6 pointers and there was a very mature big 8 pointer running around but only saw him once and got a picture of him once. This year I have 3 or 4 little bucks. The biggest being a basket rack 8 pointer on my camera so far. So my question is what am I doing wrong to not draw the big bucks onto my side of the property. I have food, water, does and very thick honeysuckle woods for protection. I know there are very few big bucks running around here, or so I think. People around me seem to see a ton of big bucks. I am dumbfounded. Any help would be appreciated.

RyanCGrover47

Re: Your guys opinion

Postby RyanCGrover47 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:33 pm

nsondag wrote:Hey guys, I've been hunting for 10+ years now, since I was 9. We have a shotgun spot along the Mississippi river and I am not concerned with big bucks down there at all. I have a pretty busy schedule and have recently started bow hunting behind my house to save driving time on about 50 or more acres of woods. We have 2 food plots both with wheat (i just was sitting in my deerstand doing some scouting and 2 does walked within 20 yards of me as I was typing this part on my phone) and Just a mix bag you can buy at the local hunting store. I have had a trail camera set up for 2 months or so and have a countless number of pictures of does and their little fawns. Every year there seems to be a group of 10 or more does on just my property. It's surrounded by farm fields with a small creek that runs through the back of it. 5 years ago while I was bow hunting I seen a very nice mature 9 pointer but he stared me straight in the eyes for a couple minutes and never looked back. Haven't seen him since. Last year, I seen many 4 and 6 pointers and there was a very mature big 8 pointer running around but only saw him once and got a picture of him once. This year I have 3 or 4 little bucks. The biggest being a basket rack 8 pointer on my camera so far. So my question is what am I doing wrong to not draw the big bucks onto my side of the property. I have food, water, does and very thick honeysuckle woods for protection. I know there are very few big bucks running around here, or so I think. People around me seem to see a ton of big bucks. I am dumbfounded. Any help would be appreciated.

You aren't going to be able to keep the bucks on ONLY your property. Deer don't read posted signs or property markers and they have no schedule. They're going to go where they want, when they want. But it sounds like you don't have cover. The big bucks are gonna bed in the thickest, nastiest stuff they can find. As far as not seeing them yet, wait until the rut kicks in and they become more active. That'll get the big boys up and moving/chasing does, and that will be the time to get them. Also might want to consider thinning out some does, it'll make for a better rut.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:09 pm

I think you are doing actually well from what I read. Especially on 50 acres. Thats not bad. Ryan is right. Those deer are traveling thru neighboring properties all the time. Those mature bucks are probably still around. Ask the neighbors and find out what they have been seeing. You have all the things deer need. Food, water, cover. Take out a few does, let the bucks hang out, and in a few years you will see results.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:15 pm

If you've got the does, you WILL have the bucks. Simple as that. For 3 months out of the year, does are a buck's reason for being.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:08 am

I really don't believe that you have a problem. As these other guys have pointed out, if you have does, the bucks will start showing up shortly, for their annual mating ritual.
I live on the side of a mountain, in a gated community, where we have a ton of deer and, of course, being a residential area, no hunting is permitted here. All year long we see many doe and fawns........mostly family groups; however, with the exception of an occasional young spike or other 1.5 year old, it is rare to spot a buck. This is until early October or so, at which time the big boys seem to appear out of nowhere and start checking out the does. I have been using my trail camera in my yard and there isn't any significant buck activity around here during the late winter, spring or summer. But when fall hits, they come looking for the does. So......as others have said, if you have the does, the bucks will show up.
In my situation, since we have no hunting within this community, we have no meaningful way of keeping the doe-to-buck ratio down, but we still see some dandy's just prior to and during the rut.
By the way, fawn recruitment this year seems to be excellent, at least in the Northern Virginia area where I reside.
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

nsondag

Postby nsondag » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Thanks guys for the replies. I kinda figured Id have to wait for the rut to hit to see what's really out there this year. But I figured I'd Atleast have a picture or of spotted a decent one already. Just kinda sad that I've been hunting here 5 years now and have really only seen 2 that i would shoot. That being said, let's get this hunting season started! October first is our opening bow day. Kinda weird I've been hunting for a while and I think I'm more excited this year then I ever have been lol.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:23 pm

nsondag wrote:Thanks guys for the replies. I kinda figured Id have to wait for the rut to hit to see what's really out there this year. But I figured I'd Atleast have a picture or of spotted a decent one already. Just kinda sad that I've been hunting here 5 years now and have really only seen 2 that i would shoot. That being said, let's get this hunting season started! October first is our opening bow day. Kinda weird I've been hunting for a while and I think I'm more excited this year then I ever have been lol.

2 shooters on your hit list. Good doe population. You should be good to go.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Return to General Discussions