Early start to signs & scrapes?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
deerstalker85

Early start to signs & scrapes?

Postby deerstalker85 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:55 pm

New to the forum here, but a seasoned hunter over the past 16 years. Still like to learn something about the game I hunt every day if possible, and it seems like each day, week, month & year something changes. One question I had for the fellow hunters out there is, have you noticed sign starting to show up earlier this year than in years prior? I have already noticed an influx of scrapes, mostly territorial markings at this point in the game, than in prior years. It seems as though no more than they lost their velvet, the claims started. Let me know if you are seeing something similar, or if things are about normal in your area. I am a bit curious to see if this is a state & nationwide event, or just localized.
http://www.huntsync.com an awesome and easy way to keep track of what's happening on your hunting property!

Jslotter

Re: Early start to signs & scrapes?

Postby Jslotter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:23 pm

I have seen scrapes opened up in the spring time and early September almost every year up here in WI. I usually see new scrapes open up on field edges in September though. I guess the theory is the deer always utilize scrape lines year round. I don't know about summer. I stay out of the woods that time of year.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Found fresh scrape activity here in Illinois last week. Have in past years found scrape activity in Sept. both in Ill. & Mich. I believe early scrape activity is mainly due to the change to coolness in the weather. At least those are my experiences especially so when a full moon is present in early Sept.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Just got back from a maryland hunt. Had good amount of scrapes and rubs all over.. Same as I have seen years past in PA.. I have not been in the PA woods for about 2 weeks but had a couple open scrapes the last time I was in. I run cameras at scrape locations 365 days a year. They always use the licking branch, but around the first week of sept is when I notice them opening up the scrapes

Return to General Discussions