Distance marking question

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
unclebuck

Distance marking question

Postby unclebuck » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:28 am

Hey guys this is my first year bow hunting. I've got my stand up and lanes cleared and distances marked. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, but when you guys mark your distance do you take into account that you are 15ft up a tree? Does that even matter? Is a 15yrd shot actually a little more than that when in a stand? Thanks for the help.

kellory

Re: Distance marking question

Postby kellory » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:58 am

It is not a stupid question. But gravity is a constant. You will have the same amount of fall for distance As you would From the base of your stand. I would suggest using the search function, Because there is a thread or two on this site thaat explain the phyics of it. Good luck and good hunting
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

hot tamale

Re: Distance marking question

Postby hot tamale » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:54 pm

I used to hunt years ago when it wasnt as popular as it is now. I found out that when i shoot from the stand there isnt a difference in shot placement. some say to aim lower, etc. I never did and had several perfect hits.
This question comes up a lot and the best advice anyone can and will give you is:

Practice shooting from your treestand at the same height as you would while hunting, in your hunting gear. this way you will build up confidence in your abilities, shot placements, yardage estimations, etc.

by doing these things you will also find you will have less of a "Buck Fever" hit you. I am a firm believer that buck fever hits those people harder that know deep down they arent prepared or that havent practiced a lot.

good luck.

Return to General Discussions