Using two scents at once.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
unclebuck

Using two scents at once.

Postby unclebuck » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:44 am

What do you guys think of using two scents at once during the rut? Would putting an estrus scent out along with a food based scent (apples...etc) be more effective in attracting deer, or would bucks not even be attracted to food scents during the rut?

mhouck06

Re: Using two scents at once.

Postby mhouck06 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:03 pm

I sometimes use buck urine and doe in heat urine.. never used the food scent tho. Cant say if both together worked any better than one alone.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Short answer...no. Neither one of them work well if at all, so using two is just wasting twice the money.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:24 am

my best experiences are using buck urine this time of year to make mock scrapes.. other guys use the preorbital gland lure which seems to work also.. then later in the season towards the rut, I start using the estrous. I have had deer completely ignore it, but I have also had bucks go nuts over it. I do not think they are a waste of money, but they cannot be your only tactic.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:32 am

Use your own urine. I started doing that after 25 years of wasting my money on just about every urine based lure made and while it's still spotty it have had more positive results that with all those other bottles of ammonia that I wasted money on all those years.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:13 am

I just have to add this since woodsie metioned it. there `s a guy around here that actually pees on an arrow and sticks it in the ground 25 yards from his stand to prove that most human scents do not freak deer out like everyone says they do. he videos it and most days he`ll have bucks 25 yards from his stand investigating his arrow, he also did a little video debunking the myth if you walk through a scrape deer won`t use it. pee in it brush your hair in it they`ll still use it.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:38 am

And if you're female I would think that it would work SO well that during parts of the rut you'd have to shoot in self defense!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

turkeyman

Postby turkeyman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:30 am

I have hunted white tail deer for 50 years now. I hunt with a bow and rely on pre season scouting to locate deer patterns and feeding. I do and have used many types of scents, but I do not use any type of food lures. I feel, based on my past experience, that artificial lures based on food scents are far more less effective, at any time during the hunting season. I know many hunters claim that food lures are the way to go, but consider that in many states food lures and feeding deer during the hunting season is not lawful. That said I will move on to your question concerning using "two scents" I do use Two scent some times depending on the deer attitude and pre season scouting and observance of the deer I am hunting. In the early archery season from October 1- 15 I use a curiosity lure. I will also use straight doe pee only, not a urine with any estrous or attracting scent added. During the rut I use a mixed estrous lure based on tarsal glans and buck urine. Use this lightly as it can be a determent to a buck if there are no does " ready" to be breed in your hunting area. I feel based on experience that there is no substitute for pre-season scouting as the use of trail cameras. I may add that I hunt for meat and am blessed if I am able to also harvest nice mature bucks. Good luck too you this season and may your freezer be filled and your memories be filled with the wonders and beauty of the seasons hunt. Regards "The Turkey Man"

hot tamale

Postby hot tamale » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:21 pm

well i've got 25 years under my belt, most years I've harvested 3 or more deer in the big woods of Wisconsin.
I will tell you that there is no substitute for scouting. not just before the season, but all year long.
as far as food based scents-why would you? There are whatever food is natural in the area and that will have it's own scent. If you start putting an apple scent in the middle of a corn field or a stand of pines, you may very well bring deer in with it, but my guess is that most deer will know that there is no apple tree there today where there wasnt one yesterday.

Acorn scent in a stand of white oaks? why would you? the acorns are already there, the deer know it. do you get what i am trying to say here?

as far as other scents--doe in heat, buck scent, etc. sure you can put more than one out. think about a scenario where you would have a doe in esterous and a buck chasing her. lay your scent bombs out so that it would make sense.
as far as using doe in heat early before the climax of the rut? sure why not? not all does go into estrous at the same time. some go way early. bucks are ready to mate year round and in the fall they are more than ready to start chasing when she's ready.

If you are going to enjoy deer hunting to its fullest, dont follow everything that everyone else says. the whole experience of deer hunting is finding out a lot of these things on your own. getting busted by deer on the way to your stand. having a staring contest with a buck. you name it, i've had it happen-every one of us that have a bunch of years under our belts has shared in these scenarios.

good luck, be safe and dont be afraid to be the first kid on your block to try something new or something that everyone else told you wouldnt work!!!

turkeyman

Postby turkeyman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:31 pm

I agree with what hot tamale said in this post. Nothing beats pre season scouting and learning on your own. Good luck to you

Return to General Discussions