to blind call or not to

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
fr0sty

Re: to blind call or not to

Postby fr0sty » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:15 pm

Is that the "super hot" call?

Ifishandhunt wrote:I've tried rattling blindly and never had luck in the past 7 or 8 years I've been hunting. However I have had luck with one call in particular. I've tried numerous calls (blindly) by different name brands but the only one I ever get reaction from is a hot doe bellow call. I am not sure I can name the maker here without it being considered advertising or spam. I am not tied to the maker other than meeting him once thru a buddy who produces hunting videos. Actually I believe Dan Schmidt interviewed him on D&DH. He gave me one of his calls. Using this one call during the rut, I had bucks all over me two years in a row. I have had bucks come looking around, walk away and then I would call again and the same bucks rush back. No joke. It blew my mind each time. I killed the biggest buck of my life last season as a result of using the call. That morning I actually passed on about 4 bucks (around two year-olds I assumed) that I called in and then shortly after they walked away I had this big 8 point walk within 18 yards of my stand. I released the string and he ran 30 yards and dropped like a rock. My opinion is the combination of peak rut and this call allowed me to call these bucks in (plus two does last season).

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Yep... The Super Hot. Do you have one?

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:00 am

No, I don't have one, but I kind of thought that was the one you were talking about. Good to hear you get results with it. I never had much luck with blind calling. At least not anything that came right in. The buck I shot last year showed up about 15 minutes or so after I did a blind rattle, but I wouldn't attribute the rattle to him showing up.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:18 pm

fr0sty wrote: The buck I shot last year showed up about 15 minutes or so after I did a blind rattle, but I wouldn't attribute the rattle to him showing up.

What makes you think that? I usually give them 20 to 30 minutes before trying a second rattle. In past times I have had some take that long to find me, more so with older mature bucks. I have seen some work over a tree or bush to work themselves up for a fight before coming to the fight area. Had one that ran into some does while on his way to my rattle. After he chased them around to check them out, he finally continued on to me. Younger bucks will usually come in quick, but it is still wise to give them some time. After rattling, and a buck comes in, and he is constantly going from smelling the ground and looking around, he has in deed heard your rattling and is looking for the fighters.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:35 am

Just a hunch really. He didn't appear to be going anywhere in particular when he came through. Could have been the rattle though.

charlie 01 wrote:
fr0sty wrote: The buck I shot last year showed up about 15 minutes or so after I did a blind rattle, but I wouldn't attribute the rattle to him showing up.

What makes you think that? I usually give them 20 to 30 minutes before trying a second rattle. In past times I have had some take that long to find me, more so with older mature bucks. I have seen some work over a tree or bush to work themselves up for a fight before coming to the fight area. Had one that ran into some does while on his way to my rattle. After he chased them around to check them out, he finally continued on to me. Younger bucks will usually come in quick, but it is still wise to give them some time. After rattling, and a buck comes in, and he is constantly going from smelling the ground and looking around, he has in deed heard your rattling and is looking for the fighters.

Previous

Return to General Discussions