Handgun for the woods and general self-protection

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
WonderMonkey

Handgun for the woods and general self-protection

Postby WonderMonkey » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm looking for a new pistol that can be used for woods protection (snakes, etc) as well as personal protection. Some of the popular ones like Taurus Judge (chambers .45 and .410) get mixed reviews. Others just get a regular pistol with a snake load.

What are your thoughts? Any experience in this area?

Jslotter

Re: Handgun for the woods and general self-protection

Postby Jslotter » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:52 am

I carry a sidearm on a holster. For a few reasons. Bears, wolves, and crazy lunatics. I hunt public land, so it could get interesting at anytime. I don't think snakes would make my worry list ever, unless Im in the Amazon jungle where there are some that can swallow a man whole.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:59 am

I read this thread with a mixture of self-pity, envy, and RAGE, because you see.....I live in ILLINOIS, where we Americans are not allowed to exercise ALL of our Constitutional birthrights. :( :x

I wish I was in a position where I could even ASK this question!!!

The only place were I am legally able to defend myself is in my own home, and for that my weapon of choice is a short barreled .12 gauge stoked with 00.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:30 am

why dont you just walk around the snake instead of buying a gun to shoot it? Seems like a cheaper idea to me.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:23 am

I agree. The snakes are no problem. The human garbage though is another issue.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:10 pm

I carry a .380
We have some big snakes with large fangs.
I'd unload on him in a sec. Landowner doesn't like them running around.
Might come across a hog or bobcat as well that would deserve a slug.
Interesting thread though. I have been considering an automatic as of late.
Something with a tad more 'pop'
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:21 pm

I carry a 9mm Springfield XD9. In Ohio It is legal CCW while hunting. Just cannot use it to hunt. We have ALOT of coyotes and I've seen them paired up at times. I'd hate to come across a couple of the opportunistic mangy beasts close up and not be armed. They give me the heeby jeepbies :? Plus there are some bad people around including a couple dudes in the area known for drug activity and trespassing on the property I hunt. I want a fighting chance if God forbid I needed it.

Woodsie... you need to relocate to Ohio for three reasons: More hunting time, CCW and we could really use your vote this November :D

tjmeyers

Postby tjmeyers » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:50 pm

I carry a Springfield Arms XDM in .40. I carry it to kill a coyote (last year one stuck it's head in a turkey blind while somebody was in it), or a wolf. It also has to do more than just tick off a black bear. Snakes are the least of my worries.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm

I happen to like the judge, for the versatility, of being able to use any .45cal, bullet, and .410 shot or slug up to 3" as well as I have found a company that makes specialty ammo, including aerial flares in a .410ga.in both red and green. I like the idea of a mixed bag of ammo covering all the bases.
They now make a circuit judge in several models, and that has appeal for me, since .410 is legal for deer here in Ohio. What I don't like is this part:

SERVICE BULLETIN
ROSSI CIRCUIT JUDGE RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS
WARNING
1. The Rossi .45/.410 Circuit Judge is sold in North America only as a rifle.
2. No smooth bore versions of the Rossi .45/.410 Circuit Judge are imported or sold in North America.
3. Conversion of the Rossi .45/.410 Circuit Judge Rifle to a Smooth Bore Shotgun is impossible because there are
no parts available in the United States.
4. Due to the complexity of the firearm any conversion from its original configuration would have to be under the
supervision of a highly competent gunsmith.
5. Any changes made to any Rossi Firearm by anyone other than BrazTech LC, voids the warranty, and may prove
to be dangerous including serious injury or death.
6. Please note that the Rossi 28 Gauge Shotgun is sold as a smooth bore shotgun only. It may be illegal to sell in
various states due to being a revolving cylinder shotgun,

So all but the .28ga would be classified as a rifle, and not legal for deer here. pistols don't follow the three shot plugged rule, but this one fires shotgun shells, So I will have to get a ruling from ODNR as to if it is legal or if not, why.
Plus, they are still a bit pricey. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

WonderMonkey

Postby WonderMonkey » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:33 am

unclebuck wrote:why dont you just walk around the snake instead of buying a gun to shoot it? Seems like a cheaper idea to me.

Given the choice, I will. However it doesn't always work out the way we want it. Additionally if I'm out there with my son or daughter I'm going to err on the side of my kids rather than the snake if there is any question at all concerning their safety.

Next

Return to General Discussions