Handgun for the woods and general self-protection

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
WonderMonkey

Re: Handgun for the woods and general self-protection

Postby WonderMonkey » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:34 am

Woods Walker wrote:I agree. The snakes are no problem. The human garbage though is another issue.

There is that as well. I'm not on public land so that issue is reduced, yet not eliminated.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:24 am

I have a S&W Governor. Same priciple as the judge, shoots 45 colt, 45 acp and 410. Dont usually carry it in the woods, but its a nice self protection gun and its fun to shoot.

WonderMonkey

Postby WonderMonkey » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:53 am

mhouck06 wrote:I have a S&W Governor. Same priciple as the judge, shoots 45 colt, 45 acp and 410. Dont usually carry it in the woods, but its a nice self protection gun and its fun to shoot.

The guy I was talking to about the Judge also spoke of the Governor. Spoke highly of it.

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:42 pm

I seldom if ever carry it anymore but when elk hunting or in bear country, I carried a Ruger .44 mag. It is also one of my home protection guns. Hopefully, I will never have to use it. However, if I do, I have supreme confidence in the result.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:59 pm

This one qualifies as a "Dumb Deer Law" as far as I'm concerned, but we here in Ohio, can not carry ANY second hunting weapon. Only a CCW will get a sidearm as a back-up, and it can not be used for any hunting purpose. So a grace shot. or a charging boar, or bear would get me in trouble with the law, should I use it to defend myself.
But, if I could carry for hunting protection, The Judge (or one of it's imitators) loaded with (2) snake loads, (1) 00buckshot, and (2) jacketed hollow points, (in order) should cover the bases. (with reloads of course)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

sarge22853

Postby sarge22853 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:18 pm

I live in Virginia, I have a CCP and carry a 10 mm, or a 45 LC single action, even when hunting. I have hunted snakes and eaten same. I find that the 45 LC is better weapon for snake because the bullet is slower, and yes some snakes will strike the bullet if you miss by only a few inches. :o

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:32 pm

Im a little uneducated about this snake thing you guys talk about. Is this only a southern state deal? Cuz, snakes up here in Wisconny, we just beat them with a stick or step on them and its a done deal. Shooting them with a .45??? What kinda snakes y'all dealing with???
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:45 pm

"Cuz, snakes up here in Wisconny, we just beat them with a stick or step on them and its a done deal."

You betcha' hey dere......da cheesehead way! LOL! Sounds like a Yooper deal wit Sven and Ollie!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Previous

Return to General Discussions