Whitetail Vocal Communication...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Bowriter

Whitetail Vocal Communication...

Postby Bowriter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:07 pm

About this time of year, there is always a plethora of postings regarding deer "grunting". There are a few who claim to be experts on deer communication. Most either have a call or an article to sell. With the possible exception of Dr. Marchinton, I am not sure there is an expert on whitetail vocalization.

For example, I do not believe I have seen a single article on the glottal pulse-that clicking sound-deer make. I know of only one commercial call that can duplicate it and for me, it has been a serious tool. I do not pretend to know what it is. I have heard whitetails and elk make it on many occasions. I have no idea what that sound conveys. I use it as a calming, "come here" sound to coax does and young deer closer. Sometimes it works.

How many vocal sounds do deer make? I have no idea. I know of about 15 and I am sure there are more than that. Grunting. How many types of grunts are there? Bleats. How many bleats are there and what do they mean? Do deer always grunt when they fight? I have only heard them do so a few times. Should I always grunt when I rattle? Which grunt should I make?

Should I grunt or bleat early in the season? Do deer only grunt or bleat at certain times? Would a soft, cohesive doe bleat be more effective than a grunt in the early season? Do does bleat at bucks early in the season?

I have no call to sell, in fact seldom use the two dozen or so I have. I seldom write articles for magazines anymore and if I did, it would be something about which I at least think I know.

So, from where do all the answers come when the question arises, "I am going hunting Saturday. What call should I use?"

kellory

Re: Whitetail Vocal Communication...

Postby kellory » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Bowriter wrote:
So, from where do all the answers come when the question arises, "I am going hunting Saturday. What call should I use?"

For the most part, I am as silent as the grave, with a role of executioner to play. I might do a stopper grunt just for the shot, but most times not a noise until after my release.

And the only call that matters goes like this." Boss? I'm going hunting, so don't even THINK about calling me in to work. It ain't gonna happen. " ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:00 pm

kellory wrote:
Bowriter wrote:

For the most part, I am as silent as the grave, with a role of executioner to play. I might do a stopper grunt just for the shot, but most times not a noise until after my release.

And the only call that matters goes like this." Boss? I'm going hunting, so don't even THINK about calling me in to work. It ain't gonna happen. " ;)

I agree with this. If im bow hunting and see a buck 100yds out id prob do a mature buck grunt to see if he'd come in any closer. Other than that sometimes I feey id do more harm than good.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:54 am

The only calls I feel I've ever had success with have been grunts or bleat calls when deer are already moving away from me out of range. I called in a small 8 point 3 different times after he'd walked away from me using a can call in late november.

I may have called in the 10 pointer I shot last season with my bow, but I can't be sure. I was using a rattle bag and grunt combination to try to draw in a buck who was bedded down way far away... about 15 minutes later I heard a noise to my left and he was standing there working a scrape broadside at 20 yards, I couldn't pass him up.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:39 pm

I know it doesn't come from their vocal chords, but I like the sound of the "crash" they make when they go down for good!

It means two things, both of which are good.......

They died quick from a well placed shot, and I will not have a long tracking job OR drag!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to General Discussions