Scent killer

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
chrisoconnor

Scent killer

Postby chrisoconnor » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:10 pm

I am new to hunting and am trying to find out the best scent killer to use when hunting whitetail. Any information on this would greatly be appreciated.

Woods Walker

Re: Scent killer

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:15 pm

There is no such thing as a scent "killer". You will ALWAYS leave scent of some sort. The best we can do is to reduce our scent as much as possible so that we don't leave much making it harder for the game to detect and hopefull if they do detect it it's in such a small quantity that they think we're farther away from them than we actually are.

Best way to do this? Keep yourself and your gear clean. Play the wind always, learn the thermal patterns on your hunting grounds as best you can under different conditions, and take note of the barometric pressure when you hunt and plan accordingly.

Some of us use things like chlorophyll supplements to reduce the scent we emit from our bodies. I do this, and I also keep all of my hunting wear, boots included, in a sealable container in which I have cachet bags of leaf litter in so that everything smells like a fall woods. I've known others that rub ferns on their clothing for the same purpose.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

hot tamale

Postby hot tamale » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:31 pm

There are a lot of ways to reduce your scent.
so if you want the best info-tell us what you do as preparation for your upcoming hunt. If you are really green to hunting, then tell us what you think you should do.
Then we can give more specifics or point out many obvious things to us that maybe you overlooked or never thought about.
so type away and dont worry about taking up too much space.

:idea:

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:47 am

Good starting point HT!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:41 am

Woods Walker wrote:There is no such thing as a scent "killer". You will ALWAYS leave scent of some sort. The best we can do is to reduce our scent as much as possible so that we don't leave much making it harder for the game to detect and hopefull if they do detect it it's in such a small quantity that they think we're farther away from them than we actually are.

Best way to do this? Keep yourself and your gear clean. Play the wind always, learn the thermal patterns on your hunting grounds as best you can under different conditions, and take note of the barometric pressure when you hunt and plan accordingly.

Some of us use things like chlorophyll supplements to reduce the scent we emit from our bodies. I do this, and I also keep all of my hunting wear, boots included, in a sealable container in which I have cachet bags of leaf litter in so that everything smells like a fall woods. I've known others that rub ferns on their clothing for the same purpose.

Sure seems like you're using a little too much technology to me... I mean, that's an unfair advantage where I come from... Of course, some of us actually attract deer with our natural smell.
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:45 am

I've been a big proponent of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). Here's a link to my recipe:
Baking Soda -- The Shamanic Method

It's fairly easy to do, and it's cheap. Start off being as meticulous as you can be, and then relax your regime as you see fit. Over a couple of seasons, you'll figure out what works best for you.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:34 am

BigIron wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:There is no such thing as a scent "killer". You will ALWAYS leave scent of some sort. The best we can do is to reduce our scent as much as possible so that we don't leave much making it harder for the game to detect and hopefull if they do detect it it's in such a small quantity that they think we're farther away from them than we actually are.

Sure seems like you're using a little too much technology to me... I mean, that's an unfair advantage where I come from... Of course, some of us actually attract deer with our natural smell.

Well of course! I should have added "excluding Texans! When you smell like a mix between an old fence post and pure bulls**t, then I guess you would be a natural attractant! :mrgreen: (You walked right into that one BigFe!!!)
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:01 am

Woods Walker wrote:
BigIron wrote:

Well of course! I should have added "excluding Texans! When you smell like a mix between an old fence post and pure bulls**t, then I guess you would be a natural attractant! :mrgreen: (You walked right into that one BigFe!!!)

Ha! You are so off your game I almost feel guilty! Your incorrect assumption is that slights against our stank is somehow irritating to us. We kill more deer than anyone, if we must smell foul to acheive those perfect ends we don't consider the noting of our malodorousness (is that a word?) as a negative.
:D
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:43 am

Oh I knew you wouldn't take it as a slight. That one was too much of a softball! (The old "master baiter" up to his old tricks again! ;) )

You planning on doing any bowhunting this year?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:05 am

chrisoconner,
Best? I doubt there is a best, and as you can see, you will find plenty of people on this site who won't use any at all. I have had success with several different sprays, so I don't think you can go wrong giving any of them a try. Currently, I use the Hunter's Specialties product in addition to showering every hunt and keeping my clothes as scent free as possible with scent free detergent and scent bags.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Next

Return to General Discussions