Be Careful Out There

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Wanderer

Be Careful Out There

Postby Wanderer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:56 am

We are kind of walking around in a daze here today. I just received a couple of phone calls about an accidental shooting yesterday. Our friend, Kenny Moore, was accidentally shot and killed while taking a youngster out on Indiana’s annual youth deer hunt. (It was not the youngster Kenny was mentoring that fired the fatal shot). Kenny was only 28 years old and had survived a combat tour in Iraq with the Marine Corps several years ago. As a matter of fact, we first met Kenny when he returned from Iraq and he came to talk to us about my son’s deployment to Iraq in 2007. Kenny felt that he, as a veteran, could help allay any fears that we had about Mike’s tour. Since that time, Kenny has stopped over several times to have a beer and chat. He even volunteered to help us bale hay. When Mike came home on leave, he and Kenny would go off shooting together and comparing war stories. Sometime they’d go out for a couple of beers together. Kenny fathered a child earlier this year. The baby was born prematurely and weighed less than 2 pounds. Baby is now doing well. But Kenny’s mom , Nancy, who was just beginning to enjoy being a grandma, died less than two weeks ago at age 62. Now his dad, John, has to deal with the loss of a wife and a son in a time span of a few days. Nancy’s funeral was last week Tuesday, and now John has to plan another one for his only son. If anyone has any prayers that they could spare, we need to help John Moore through this tragedy. When Lois and I visited John last week, I didn’t even know what to say. Now I can’t even imagine what that poor man must be going through. Please pray for him.

Woods Walker

Re: Be Careful Out There

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:30 am

Words fail me. What a tragedy. Prayers sent for all concerned.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:05 am

Incredibly sad! God bless the family and friends.
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

jdbell91

Postby jdbell91 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:47 pm

Wander,

I am very sorry to hear about this tragic event. I saw the news story but did not know that back story. My thoughts and prayers are with this young man's family.
Semper Fi,

Joe

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Thats a terrible burden to have to face. I pray for those families.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:36 pm

To say I'm sorry sound trite in my ears. I didn't know him. But I'm sure there are many devastated people, affected by this tragedy.
A wife loses a husband, a child her father, And a father his son and his wife,(God, help the man survive that) and a kid that made a huge mistake will likely never hunt again, and can never make it right. :cry: God, please help them all.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:45 pm

prayers headed that way ....
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

hot tamale

Postby hot tamale » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:29 pm

I can only hope he's in that big woods in the sky filled with monster antlered whitetails. Bless his family and father who I cant imagine all of the pain they are going through.

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Such an awful tragedy. And the fact that it was a youth firearm season leads me to assume that the shooter was a youth, the article I read did not specify. Lets not forget to keep them in our thoughts as well. I couldn't imagine what they must be feeling.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:14 pm

4khorn wrote:Such an awful tragedy. And the fact that it was a youth firearm season leads me to assume that the shooter was a youth, the article I read did not specify. Lets not forget to keep them in our thoughts as well. I couldn't imagine what they must be feeling.

It's the lack on mention, that screams "Youth". If an adult was the shooter, They would post his picture, his address, his schedule, the weapon used, his intent, his work status, and his love life. They tend to protect kids a bit better from the press. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Next

Return to General Discussions