Tarsal Gland Tip

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DEER30

Tarsal Gland Tip

Postby DEER30 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:24 pm

Anyone ever use the tarsal glands from a harvested deer as cover scent/attractant? I have and it has worked very well. Here is what I do that has helped me in the past. www.deer30outdoors.com/tarsal-gland-tip/

charlie 01

Re: Tarsal Gland Tip

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:10 pm

Yes, have used them for years with much success. I will take them from every mature buck I get. I put them in tripple baggies and freeze them until needed. However, I use them in a different manner. I take a large type safety pin and pin the tarsal gland to my pant leg at just below my knee area. Then, on mostly morning hunts, and primarily with and around rut timing, while walking to my stand, I will stop from time to time and freshen up the taral gland with some buck lure. One particular area, I would walk a deer trail that was in weeds that ran along the edge of a wood lot where I had a tree on the edge that I hunted out of. I would walk past my tree a little ways, them cut into the woods and back to my tree. That day, with rattling, I had 5 bucks through the coarse of the morning, pick up my trail and walk past me at 20yds. This was in a hard hunted area (army property) where the deer were known to be wise due to hunting pressure. I have to think that they had to of noticed my scent that also collected on the tall weeds as I walked, but it didn't seem to bother them. They were on a mission. Had many other good luck days with the use of tarsal glands. But, it's like everthing else, "timing".
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:28 am

thats a good idea! I have used them as a scent drag before but never pinned them to my pants. I will definately be trying that.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:44 am

Nice tips and read guys!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:17 am

DEER30 wrote:thats a good idea! I have used them as a scent drag before but never pinned them to my pants. I will definately be trying that.

Just make sure you use something strong to attach it to your pant leg,( so as not to loose it while going through thick weeds and brush) but also having it easily detached for washing pants or to change to another camo pant. I poke a hole through each side of the outter seam and work in a split-ring (about the size of a quarter) in several of my camo pants, and attach the gland to that with some hard ware that is easily put on and taken off.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:28 am

so HD safety pin not enough? This cold front coming through has me itching to get out there. But won't be til saturday. Hopefully I can get the opportunity to try this out after that.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:52 am

Try a locking diaper pin. ;) Or the pin from your back tag.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

badappleoutdoors

Postby badappleoutdoors » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Great idea guys, I have heard a lot of talk on this however I have never tried it myself.

Return to General Discussions