Close call last night...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Deebz

Close call last night...

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:36 am

but not in a good way.

I was shooting some arrows at my 3D target last night just to make sure I had my draw/aim/shoot routine down pat and nothing was weird with the bow. I had shot about 15 times so far, putting 4 arrows in a 1 1/2 inch group at 20 yds, then a little larger group at 30, and finally out to 40 yards. I was trying diffferent angles, shooting from 1 knee, 2 knees, whatever I could think of to change it up. I was having a TON of fun and shooting realy well.

Then I drew my bow...heard a crazy loud noise, felt something brush past my bow arm, felt the wind of something whipping past my face, and when I opened my eyes I see the string/cables all hanging loose from my bow. First time I'd even seen a bow string actually break... I rushed over to the bow shop, and upon inspection we realized that one of the cables had frayed and separated where it attaches to the bottom limb of the bow.

I've heard horror stories about how people have been seriously injured or had their bows totally explode when this happened, so I'm counting myself lucky that I was totally unharmed and my bow seems to be fine. My bow guy was able to replace the cable and said the limbs look good. The cable broke in the first 1/4 of the draw, so it hadn't loaded the full potential energy. Still, the arrow I'd knocked was laying about 20 yards away with the last 3 inches of the fletched end broken off.... I still have yet to find the part with the fletching on it...

I'm going to pick the bow up tonight after work, so hopefully it will all be good and I'll still be able to get out Sat morning. If not I will be a VERY unhappy camper...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Re: Close call last night...

Postby kellory » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:56 am

You were damn lucky deebz. Most things fail at full stress. I felt a cable partially fail, once. Took it to a bowsmith, and had the mid point of the cable replaced with a standard size bow string as well as new cable. Now I can replace it myself.. Glad you were not hurt. It could have been much worse.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bobow

Re: Close call last night...

Postby bobow » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:35 pm

I am glad to hear that nothing serious happened. I may need to rub shoulders with you for good luck! :D
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Return to General Discussions