What deer see

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

Re: What deer see

Postby Sailfish » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:50 pm

shaman wrote:I'm sorry. I don't by the whole UV thing. I've been blogging about this boondoggle since 2008. It just ain't so.

#2) The way these anti-UV products are marketed is to show how the product works under black light. This only shows how an object fluoresces in the visible part of the spectrum, not how it reflects actual UV light.

c) No one has done the actual scientific experiments to prove UV has any effect on hunting success.
[/img]

Just for giggles (before reading your stuff) I borrowed the neighbors black light and did a quick experiment myself.
I have a really nice camo LS fishing shirt that is UV 50 that I used for a control.
NO doubt it glowed.
I took all my camo, black, brown hunting stuff I had.
Results:
My camo LS mosquito repellent shirt had a good amount of glow.
My HS vest glowed second most..AND.........the stitching in the webbing/straps............OH MY looked like a Halloween party with the way it glowed orange. BRIGHT orange.
The blacks and browns I had in my hunt clothing.......nothing other than dust glowed.

I read the UV study some time ago as well, and my conclusion then was........the deer eyes have the necessary parts to SEE UV light.........but its never been proven that the parts are actually capable and are doing so (not to say I am right and someone else is wrong....just my conclusion)

I don't think that many deer would be killed with all the camo, HS vest, etc folks are wearing if we were glowing or appearing as an unnatural glowing orb in a tree.
Then again...........there are those times you never move, are scent free and have the wind in your favor and Mr Big Boy...........just knows your there an walks away..... ;)

Opening archery tomorrow gents..............i'll let you know :D
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:14 am

I know this isnt camo related but I had a cool encounter that confirmed that deer cant see red. I had heard that they couldnt and always used a red headlamp when going to and from my stand in the dark (better safe than sorry). I hunted a new spot with a climber and had a few branches i wanted to clear out when I got down after dark. Using my red headlamp (which can be a pain because it doesnt penetrate very far) I was cutting a few branches with a folding saw. It was very quiet and the sound of the sawing must have sounded like a buck making a rub because I had a deer run in along the tall ridge behind me. he winded me and took off right away. immediately after another deer ran up from the other direction and walked very close. It was pitch black but my guess was within 20 yds. I still had my head lamp on and I was moving my head back and forth to try to see it. I never did. The wind swirled and he caught a woof of me and snorted about 10 times. He finally stomped off, but that cinched it for me. red headlamp from now on! (i have even used the saw on branches while on stand to try to draw them in. It never worked since!)
Semper Fidelis!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:48 pm

Opening day buck down!
Story to follow shortly.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:01 am

Pretty sure I was not UV'd by the deer nor "human" scented, but here's the story and pics:

viewforum.php?f=25

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:49 am

We have an area we call the lane way...many times I've walked out in the open down the lane way to get in shooting distance of deer the whole time they would glance up and watch me...when heads lifted I would take my one hand ...both arms tight to my side...dressed in BO or regular camo ...and make quick flicks...as if a tail was switching...they watch me a bit and then feed again and I would start ever so slowly moving closer...some times I carry a wht paper napkin in my pocket to use as a fake "tail"
It's fun to do even when I don't plan on shooting I've gotten as close as 30yrds before they'll just trot off with no alarms..

IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG (157.06 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:16 am

beautiful
u guys are so fortunate to have that white stuff to hunt in