where are the bucks

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
habs

where are the bucks

Postby habs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:46 am

someone tell me why i never see bucks in my field untill the rut kicks in? i always have 8-20 deer in the field, a couple of small spikes but never any descent bucks. last year i started using a camera and would have about 250 pictures per week and just does,fawns a couple of small bucks, then the rut kicked in and had almost 1200 picks one week with 4 new bucks. why

Woods Walker

Re: where are the bucks

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:14 am

It's in their union contract. Their job is to breed, and they negotiated a super deal where they only have to work for about 6 weeks out of the year, but they get paid double time plus benefits. Granted, it's 24/7 for those weeks, and they do NOTHING else but breed and all the activities leading up to it, but imagine getting ALL of your work for the year done in a month and a half, and then you get to hang with the boys and just worry about eating for the rest of the year. No fawns to birth and raise, no riding heard on matriarchal groups with all the drama and pecking order that goes with it.

Let's just hope that the DOES don't get a smiliar deal!

Bottom line..........watch the ladies. The boys will be along directly....
Last edited by Woods Walker on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:19 am

I posted this before WW but I have no idea where it went, maybe with your bucks.

Bucks stay in bachelor groups by themselves until the early pre-rut. Often their area is different and apart from the does. The does get first pick of basic home range. The bucks stay elsewhere. Once the pre-rut starts, the bucks travel. That is when you start seeing them. If you got rid of your cameras and wore out a pair of boot soles, you could probably find your bucks. Most of them are in the woods behind my house.

However, be carefull, Woods Walker will bait them all to his place.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:28 am

Naahhh..... that'd be Big Iron. He the master at that. :mrgreen:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to General Discussions