Outdoor celebrities

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

Outdoor celebrities

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:18 am

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/featu ... e-outdoors

Thats a nice link on DDH page.
I hope there are more individuals of notoriety that remain vocal and in the spotlight for our plight.
Especially if Romney/Ryan make it to the White House.

Currently hunters and fisherman are constantly under "attack" by enviro and special interests groups who don't have our interests in their hearts.
We have the EDF running NOAA and dictating our fishery policies. The Wal-Mart's, Darden's, Hewlett-Packard's etc are trying to corner the market on commercial AND recreational fishes.(Imagine a public resource not being readily open to the family fisherman but being sold to the highest bidder........its happening)
Hunters face decreasing land and hunting opportunities with the fed's offering up more traditional hunting land to "logging for profit" outifts. Enviro groups buying up pvt lands, groups like HSUS who lobby hard to stop all hunting or hunting of a particular species (FL has more bear right now than we know what to do with and could support a tag/kill system HSUS was involved here), as well as access to state and federal lands etc. The assault will not stop on our rights as sportsman to hunt and fish. We need to stick together and be vocal and support individuals and groups, write letters, vote etc, whatever we need to do to protect what we have now and in the future for our children and their children.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Deebz

Re: Outdoor celebrities

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:19 am

Sailfish wrote:http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/featured/deer-deer-hunting-salutes-the-celebrities-who-embrace-the-outdoors

Thats a nice link on DDH page.
I hope there are more individuals of notoriety that remain vocal and in the spotlight for our plight.
Especially if Romney/Ryan make it to the White House.

Hey Sailfish, I'm not sure I'm understanding your comment here. Do you view a Romney/Ryan presidency as a good thing or a bad thing with respect to the conservation of our resources?

I know that Romney is a huge advocate for utilizing the natural resources available on our own soil; are you worried that this would have an impact on the availabity of our hunting/fishing opportunities?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:41 am

From the DDH link I posted Ryan appears to be a proponent of hunters/fisherman.

I tried not to make this sound like a political post but a post more focused on our plight and the notoriety of the individuals actively involved in our endeavors.
I have to admit I am most familiar with our fishery issues and know first-hand what happens when federal officials are put into power that can and do affect fishery policy (IE Jane Lubechenco at NOAA) in a manner that is detrimental to the family man.

And now to tie that into your query; as hunter/fisherman we realize the importance of conservation for the public resources are needed, and we all know how hunters and fisherman have proven to be most often the best stewards of the resource.We need to ensure that they remain in our hands and not exploited for commercial endeavors or taken away from us altogether. When you have the Dept of Commerce and the EDF running our fisheries, HSUS dictating policy for the lands...........Thats not good.I mention Ryan (I'd mention Nugent as well.........but we know where that conversation goes) because he currently is one of the most public recognizeable individual's at the moment and one who is arguably on the cusp of being in a position to help rid the Fed of the likes of the EDF type policy makers.

So the link provided us with some high-profile names and persons, I was please to see DDH stepping up in that manner to recognize these individuals. I added my $2/100 as well.And I am sorry it wasn't clear in the original post, no I am not worried that a Romney/Ryan presidency will affect us in a negative way.........quite the contrary. Status quo, we will continue to lose at an alarming rate.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Right on... That's what I was thinking you meant. I am also really excited to have a chance to get someone in the white house who is a real sportsman/outdoorsman. I think we can take it on faith that he won't be peppering anybody with birdshot :lol:

I do think we need to utilize those resources we have available to us here in the US in order to decrease our depency on foreign powers, but I also don't want to see public land closed to the public because of that. I'm not only talking about hunters either. There are a huge number of peopel who simply enjoy hiking, taking pictures, camping, etc... I'd like to think that having such a pro-outdoorsman being the #2 guy would help to ensure that we can benefit in both avenues.

I'm not very familiar with your fishery issues personally, but I have family that live in the Vero Beach area on Fl's east coast and I know they have been unhappy with some of the limits imposed on species and seasons and such. We definitely need to see a shift in our government to a more hands off approach...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:03 pm

I'll be happy to first get someone in the White House who will get the government the hell out of the way so we can get back to making a living again.

We need to be able to make money again and THEN we can worry about hunting and fishing!

What good is having a place to hunt if you can't afford the hunting license cost or the gas to get you there and back home...that's IF you still have a home to go back too.

Survival comes first, then recreation.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:22 pm

I imagine one fellas recreation is anothers mode of survival

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:41 pm

Right guys because I'm sure Romney's and Ryan's first order of business is going to be lower license costs and "help the plight" of hunters. Since when has the Federal Government done anything for hunters on the individual state level ? People come here to talk about hunting...take it to the Off-Topic Forum maybe?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:38 pm

I'm not the one who first mentioned Romeny/Ryan. I just responded.

And I stand by what I said.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:41 pm

I'm not looking for the Federal Government to help me out... that's the point. I'd rather they stayed out of my state's hunting and fishing regulations, which I believe was the point of the discussion. We're happy that the potential new Pres/VP team seems to have an understanding of that fact... sounds like a pretty general hunting related discussion to me.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:19 pm

Paul Ryan is a bowhunter. Just sayin. That doesn't mean a whole much on a broader spectrum. Its just good to see a politician who can and does hunt.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Next

Return to General Discussions