Hypothetical Conservation Question

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Hoytamania

Hypothetical Conservation Question

Postby Hoytamania » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:45 pm

So I have a question for all my fellow hunters.

I am an undergraduate studying Wildlife Ecology: Resource and Management. In one of my classes my group has to make a presentation on the importance of hunting in terms of land and wildlife conservation. We are focusing out talk around the Pittman-Robertson act of 1937. For those that might not be fully informed on this act it essentially states that all license sales, an 11% tax of archery equipment and a 10% tax on firearms and ammunition will go into a federal fund used to conserve land and wildlife for outdoor recreation such as fishing and hunting.

One question we were going to ask the class is "Would license sales drop if hunters knew the money from license sales didn't go back into conservation and was allocated elsewhere?" I would also like to pose that question to you to try and get as much feedback as I can. Any answers you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

kellory

Re: Hypothetical Conservation Question

Postby kellory » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:26 pm

I'll take a stab at this one.
They pulled a bait and switch like that with the Ohio lottery. To get it approved by the voters, they claimed a percentage of profits would fund education, and improve our schools. It was a lie. (a legal lie) because the operating funds for the school system is larger than what the lottery added, they simply swapped funds. The X number of dollars that the lottery added was deducted from the budget for other things, and the lottery just filled the hole. That kind of behavior angers me greatly.
I have a small hunting property on which I am not REQUIRED to buy permits of any kind. I only require permits when hunting public or private lands other than my own.
If, as in your description, funds intended for conservation, were to be stolen for other projects, I would be part of the legal fight to restore what was right. I would also vote against any politician guilty of participating. Failing legal rectification, I would most likely hunt only my own lands from that point on, and deny the thieves any future gain. Is that clear enough? :x
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:43 am

Hoytamania wrote: "Would license sales drop if hunters knew the money from license sales didn't go back into conservation and was allocated elsewhere?"

I suspect that license sales would fall off, in waves.

I think the first wave would come when a certain segment of hunters began to protest the loss of Pittman-Robertson by refusing to buy licenses, but I think this would be a very small drop off.

The second wave might come when the game laws begin to be enforced solely on the backs of law enforcement budgets. The loss off Pittman-Robertson would result in fewer C.O.s on the roads, burning less fuel and doing fewer operations. Eventually the fear of getting caught lessens enough that poachers don't bother with buying a license.

And finally I fear that the last and most devastating wave would come when game populations and access to public hunting lands falls below acceptable levels. We buy licenses because we have game to hunt and places to hunt it. Take away Pittman-Robertson and kiss that goodby.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:20 am

NYS just went through this issue this year...it was fought legally......No I don't think sales would decrease....hunters in NYS would simply handle the problem on a political and legal level...We are hunters..... to not buy a license and go out hunting because of this is.... IMO..... cutting off our noses to spite are faces...depleting what ever moneys do get to conservation....I believe most NYS hunters are smarter than that

[url]www.nysenate.gov/press-release/​new-york-state-senate-moves-save...[/url]
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:52 pm

In my opinion, No, I don't think people would stop buying.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:31 am

Short and sweet. No, sales would not drop. Hunters buy licenses to be legal. Very few could you tell what P-R is all about. As long as license laws are enforced, hunters will buy them.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Bowriter wrote: As long as license laws are enforced, hunters will buy them.

Yes, but those laws are enforced with the very Pittman-Robertson money we're talking about. As the money dries up, so does the budget to enforce the laws.

suds1421

Postby suds1421 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:22 pm

Yes, I do think that they would decrease. I have purchased hunting licenses or stamps for a one time hunt where I probably wouldn't buy the license if the money didn't "go to a good cause". Example: I'm not a fisherman, I don't get a kick out of it. I love being on the water, but I don't need a pole in the water. Hell, I go fishing all the time with buddies, I just don't throw a line in.

Generally I buy a fishing license to fish once a year at my uncle's cabin. I figure the money goes to conservation...

eberhaar863828

Postby eberhaar863828 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:30 pm

"I am an undergraduate studying Wildlife Ecology: Resource and Management."

You wouldn't happen to go to UW-SP?
Ducks

Hoytamania

Postby Hoytamania » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:38 am

Well I give the presentation this morning guys and gals. Thank you for you input, I will be using it as part of the presentation.

eberhaar863828 wrote:You wouldn't happen to go to UW-SP?

Yes, I do go to UW-SP. I will be graduating in May.

Next

Return to General Discussions