Do you hide your face?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
buckwild

Do you hide your face?

Postby buckwild » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:47 am

I try to conceal my face, especially when bow hunting. I have heard/read that the shiny parts of your face (nose/cheeks/forehead) stand out and helps the deer to identify us. I have a few face masks that i've worn for years but they leave my nose and cheeks exposed. last year I was spending quite a bit of time still hunting and felt exposed so I bought some face paint. I feel much more concealed but I am pretty sure the paint is clogging my pores and causing some massive pimples (especially on my nose). Any take on an alternative way to "Paint". Should I even bother with it?

Thanks!
Semper Fidelis!

Deebz

Re: Do you hide your face?

Postby Deebz » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:10 pm

I wear one of the mesh face masks... basically a tube of mesh/netting with a camo pattern. It's got an elastic pull string to cinch at the top of your head, and an oval opening for eyes... I wear a baseball style hat with it, so the only thing exposed is my eyes. It's really pretty comfortable, and if you tuck the bottom into your collar, it stays fairly tight and out of the way...

Otherwise, maybe try real dirt/mud and stuff instead of paint if you want to go that way
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:35 pm

Deebz - I have a mesh one that I havent worn in a while. do you use a grunt call? I had to cut a hole in the mesh mask to get the grunt tube to my mouth. Also, are you concerned with your breath stinking up the mask (any mask) by the end of the day? I figure if my breath goes down wind it is gone, but if it clings to my mask it is stuck with me. (btw - I dont have bad breath - just like I dont have b.o. I am just thinking that if I can smell my mask, the deer can too!)
Semper Fidelis!

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:45 pm

I wash my mask each time I wash my hunting clothes. As far as scent goes, I think that's just one of the things we have to take into consideration as far as wind direction and how to set up. You can't be downwind of all deer all of the time.

I have used a grunt call with the mask on, and I just blow through the mask. It's really lightweight. I do have a heavier stocking hat type mask for colder weather, but it has a mouth-hole...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:54 pm

I have 2 and I am torn on using them
one keeps the skeeters at bay the other is the mesh type.
But, I think of them as some sort of Glade Human Scented wick (rather valid or not)

I think what is worse, breathing for hours into this "wick" allowing it to capture all the concentrated breath stink, releasing it full bore everytime the wind blows, BUT keeping my white skin concealed. Or, allowing each individual breath to be dispersed into the voluminous, atmosphere but have the shiny face show?

Reason I say this..............you ever smell that thing after you had it on for an hour?

Just not sure ever on the mask thing

Turkey = yes for sure!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

jdbell91

Postby jdbell91 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:12 pm

I always hide my face. I use a mask from Cabela's called the Cabela's Leafy Versamask™ Facemask. It has the 3d camo leafs on it. This goes well with my ghillie suit. During deer season I wear a carbon surgical mask. You can get them from Sportsman's Guide. They are called Breath - Taker™ Disposable Carbon Facemask. These two products have really helped me. Both were recommended by Marc Anthony.

As for using a grunt call, I have to move the masks out of the way to do that.

Good luck!
Semper Fi,

Joe

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Sailfish - good point on the mosquito factor. One of my masks is a scent lock mask that they cant bite through. we had a drought this year and the skeeters were practically non existent. Good luck with that in Florida!

jdbell91 - I looked up the versamask. It seems like a good one. I never heard of mark anthony either so I looked him up too. www.nontypicalhunter.com looks like a sweet site. can't wait to dive a little deeper. I have been hunting from the ground a lot lately and use camo netting from the Marine Corps. Works good but my head still has a silhouette and the netting gets snagged. (semper fi brother!)
Semper Fidelis!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:49 pm

I use a camo pattern fleece neck gator. Good for keeping the cold off your neck and I pull it up over my face when its real cold, or if I think my face is standing out too much.. It does collect a little bit of odor from breathing condensation. Its comfortable though.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Oakarver

Postby Oakarver » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:34 pm

I wear an owl-face mask.

First_Gen

Postby First_Gen » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:40 pm

I do.

If your work allows, grow a full beard. When I can have mine grown out, I just use that to suffice.

If not, I use this http://www.hunterspec.com/content/camo-spandex-34-face-mask. The spandex works well and even keeps your face somewhat warm. If you wear glasses, it may fog up. I don't so I can't vouch for that. I wear a boonie hat that the 3/4 mask works well with, but also works with a ball cap. Great for turkey hunting to.

At the same time, all the deer I have ever taken have been with my face mask down or in my pocket, with a chew in. Go figure.

Next

Return to General Discussions