General question

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sierra

Re: General question

Postby Sierra » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi. I work all the way down in south Columbus, so those will be better for me than Marion. Especially since I didn't make my way up there today. I am really hoping to take advantage of post-season sales, since I am getting back into this with the basics and a few borrowed things. I do need a harness since the land I hunt has stands in place. Thank you for the heads up on Menards.

But, happy update. I spend a few hours checking out a couple of stands at this property, and spent some time in each. The landowner and I had a good long talk, and he said he would be around for all of gun season, and if I need help he'll just get his tractor and help me. (Though I am going to prepare as though he won't be there just in case). In addition, I found out nobody is hunting the property for firearms season except for me. They really know how to spoil a girl in Ohio. But as for loading, I will throw a couple of 2x4s in my car to make a ramp, after a fashion. I always have rope. I drive a Ford Edge, which is not really a truck (I am still used to my Explorer) but it has enough room in back. There aren't really trees by the driveway. But I shouldn't be counting my chickens just yet. :-)

Thank you for good advice!
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:35 pm

Sierra: This is what I'm talking about. They keep binos close to your body and right where you can get to them with a minimum of movement. I can even get down on my hands and knees to stalk and they stay put. No swinging and banging around. Next to my bow, they and my 10X40 Ziess are items I don't go into the woods without.
binobuddy.jpg
binobuddy.jpg (12.42 KiB) Viewed 697 times
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

oletimer

Postby oletimer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:19 am

Sierra...another suggestion on loading a deer by yourself. You said you have an SUV so I assume it is four wheel drive. Back the rear tires into a ditch or low lying area and that will bring the tailgate down. I hunt by myself a lot since I'm retired and find it much easier to mussling them in the back of a truck. A couple of boards as you said is a good idea too.
It appears by your post that you are spending a lot of time on the property you are planning to hunt. I would suggest that the less time spent will increase your deer sighting. Deer know you have been there even it you don't bump them and will be much more warry of that area. I try and stay out of my stand locations as much as possible. Also scent control is one of the most important elements in deer sighting. Thier number one defense it thier nose. Could go on and on but as WW said experience and time in the woods will be your best teacher. You will learn from you blunders as we all do.
Good luck and just enjoy your time hunting.
lead follow or get out of the way

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:42 pm

Sierra wrote:A few more questions popped into my head. Do you use a call to stop a moving deer, or hope they will stop or slow down? When I practice shooting, I do practice taking my shot quickly. I have a call I can use and I will practice with it.

If at all possible,I recommended stopping a deer before taking a shot. I admit that I am a mediocre shot, so I need all the help I can get. I took a walking shot yesterday. The deer was 50 yards away and I was on him with a scoped 30.06 and it was still enough to alter my point of impact by several inches. Fortunately, the 180gr round made up for my mistake. I should have known better.

Like all things, stopping a moving deer and then quickly capitalizing is a little harder than it sounds. The first thing you need to do is get into a ready position. That means gun shouldered, safety off and looking just over the sight/scope (or at full draw with your anchor set). You want to be ready before you stop the deer, so using a call won't due. You are going to have to rely on your voice. Then, just before you stop him, you need to think about where he is going to stop. It does no good to stop a deer if he stops behind a big oak tree. You've got to try to time it so he plants his feet in your open lane. Any odd sound will work, but I use a voice bleat that sounds like a nasally, "Waa!" From there I try to settle in and take the shot. Granted, a calm deer may sit and stare for several minutes, but a deer with s suspicious mind won't sit still long. Lastly, know that it my take several bleats, whistles or hoots to stop a deer who is moving with a purpose.

Good questions. Keep 'em coming.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:26 am

Does the edge have a hitch? I've seen some really nice basically luggage/cooler carriers that will fit right into the receiver of your hitch. (My wife drives an escape, which has such a hitch). I killed a nice buck last year hunting with my uncle-in-law, and we were in his Jeep. He stuck the carrier in the hitch, we loaded the deer on there (only about 2 feet off the ground), covered it with a tarp and strapped him down.

I wouldn't recommend this for a long trip or with nasty icy/salty roads, but for short trips that works pretty well. It would help keep the mess out of your car as well.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:09 pm

Unfortunately it has no hitch. Though I still have my old explorer which has one I could use instead. I think I will have to go with a tarp to protect the interior. :-)

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:50 pm

JPH, I saw a youtube video where this guy made a sound to stop a deer when he was ready to shoot, and it was also like a, "Waaa!" sound. So I decided to randomly practice this on my daughter, who is now convinced I have lost my mind. "Mom, what's for dinner?" "Waa!". "What?"

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:02 pm

...but did she stop?

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:48 am

Yes, actually. Hehe.

Previous

Return to General Discussions