Question about long-range hunting

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
ArkansasJoseph

Question about long-range hunting

Postby ArkansasJoseph » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:47 am

I haven't had any luck lying in wait, 125 feet from the bait plot in the lower 20 acres.

Now that the leaves have fallen from the trees, I have a potential shooting alley from the house, down to the bait area. I only need to fell a small tree or two.

I would be shooting from about 800 feet away, and the house is about 140 feet higher in elevation than the target area. Light woods seperate the area.

Assuming I get a big enough gun sighted in at this distance and drop, how do you guys feel about that strategy? It seems like it would be akin to cheating: I wouldn't need camo, or silence.

On the other hand, I'm just trying to put meat in the freezer. I don't have trophy aspirations, and I'd probably pass up on a nice buck, if there was a big doe nearby, just to leave it for the sportsmen.

See any pitfalls?

-ArkJoe

DannyBouy

Re: Question about long-range hunting

Postby DannyBouy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:10 am

Seems kinda cheap to me, not to mention easy. It's not up to me to judge however. Most people hunt deer not only for the meat, but the challenge and experience of it all, or at least I do. My season was over early this year, and it feels like the season never happened. It was too easy. I love spending the little time I can spare int he woods, tracking, sitting, calling and waiting, not to mention the experience of being with the boys at camp. I can shoot deer in my back yard but choose to go to a camp for the experience. You have to determine what's most important to you, getting a deer or the experience of getting a deer? Oh, and what is legal in your area.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:47 pm

check and see what is legal ...
i know my father has been hunting for years from stands and blinds now he lives in the country and owns his own property ..
he is about 70 now sits on his back deck looking out over the fields with his muzzle loader and coffee during that season when he does not feel like going out to the stand...

but i have to agree with danny on this "I love spending the little time I can spare int he woods, tracking, sitting, calling and waiting,"
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:40 pm

Its all about what you want to personally get out of the hunt!

Return to General Discussions