Opening day!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

Opening day!

Postby Sailfish » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:37 pm

Not sure who else has opening day rifle tomorrow (NOV 15), but good luck, be safe, enjoy yourself, and bag a good one!
I'm hoping the EHD doesn't hurt many folks' seasons and the deer are still running.
After a decent start to the FL archery season, i'll be hopping on a plane in < 3 hours heading to central MI for rifle.
Hope to make up for a miserable 2011
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Deebz

Re: Opening day!

Postby Deebz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Our shotgun season kicks off Friday the 16th.... I've been passing on small bucks, so I'm hoping it does pay off for me. I just heard that the guy on the next property missed a big one with his bow the other day.... There's a really tall and wide deer i'm hoping to get a chance at with the slug gun...

Good luck!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:26 am

Lots of deer moving today
37 total sightings (4 bucks)
Tons of doe running with their fawns
Lots of hunters in the woods this year ( or their are more deer) based on the shots

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:57 am

Our firearms season starts the Monday after Thanksgiving. (Ohio).

Good luck everyone!
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

eberhaar863828

Postby eberhaar863828 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:46 pm

Wisconsin starts Saturday.
Ducks

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:15 am

changed for this am
100's of acres of corn needs picked
They just started running it at 10
Saw 12 does so far this am

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:18 am

Overall one of the best years for deer sightings.
Saw 70 or so from 15th to the 20th
They def went on lockdown by day 4.
I had too many opportunities to kill (and now regretting it ) a deer. Kept waiting for a nicer buck that never showed :D
It was an amazing time in/near the woods to be sure.
I witnessed a nice buck for 2 hours mount a doe in the middle of a just picked corn field. He also kept chasing 3 other bucks away from her.
He'd breed, chase, run back, breed chase, run back to her. Over and over. I could have walked up on all of them through a crick bed, BUT the land they were on was not ours (natrually) so no shot on a nice one. Of course after the fact my uncle said the farmer wouldn't have minded. :x
What I did notice was the 15th was hot. Bucks were pushing does heavily. 16-17th they seemed paired up and locked in the corn (i'm sure the hunting pressure did that as well). When the corn was picked (I beleive it was a 12 row picker) the deer would pop their heads out, eat, and run right back in. Once the farmer got down to 2 runs left........you shoulda saw the deer go every which way. There were easily 14 deer scattering (probably more on the backside of the hill near woods I couldn't see) just in those last 20 rows!! They waited until the very last possible moment.
The buck that had the hot doe and the others didn't bother going for the woods. They just stayed in the open doing their things once the corn was gone.
Neat to watch all this (well .....sort of :mrgreen: )

I've gotten a FL archery buck already so I'm good on the meat. I have until Dec 1 here until the rifle season, so I am going to try this week for one more. We'll see. I've been itching for a hog as well............decisions to make.

Good luck, hope everyone has been doing well this season!!

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:28 pm

Well, I think my best opportunity is the one I goofed on opening day by coming down from my stand. We'll see what happens during our second 2-day gun "season" in a couple weeks. I will be glad to participate in a much longer archery season next year. All in all, even not getting a deer yet, I always enjoy my time out hunting, and it certainly beats the office!

Best of continued luck to everyone, and have fun.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Return to General Discussions