Brand New Hunter

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
MsDachshund

Brand New Hunter

Postby MsDachshund » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:01 am

Just wanted to say hello and my daughter and I are wanting to learn how to deer hunt. We are as green as they come. We don't know where to begin, what we need to have, or where to go. No one takes us seriously because, get this, "we are too attractive to hunt". Like that has something to do with with hunting! I know other women hunt and being "un attractive" is not a requirement. So, anyway, please send us advice we need all we can get. Oh, if it matters we are in Davidson county, North Carolina .

kellory

Re: Brand New Hunter

Postby kellory » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:17 am

SEND PICS! Just kidding! ;) Welcome to the forum. We have all type of hunters and hunting from old fogies who move so slow the deer don't they're are alive, to snap shooters. nose bleed cowboys (very high) to ground pounders in blinds. stalkers and stump-sitters. There are a great number of ways to hunt, and it would take a lifetime to perfect them all. Feel free to look around, there is a great deal of info here. You have questions, ask. And you are not alone here, there are many women on this site, and over 10,000 members. Someone can answer just about any question you can ask, (and it might even be right!) Enjoy! :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 am

Well wow. I have certainly tried to formulate a reply to this, but well wow.

Although I am hideously disfigured, I bet I could help out. I did learn how to hunt on my own, from teaching myself to shoot, scouting, finding land to hunt and everything else. These guys here on this forum are an immense help and have more experience than me for years hunting, but I am good with the getting started. My daughter however is beautiful, and a great shot it turns out. :-D

Don't worry about attractiveness. We all look about the same after a good day in the field.

- Moira
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:35 pm

Sierra wrote:Well wow. I have certainly tried to formulate a reply to this, but well wow.

Although I am hideously disfigured, I bet I could help out. I did learn how to hunt on my own, from teaching myself to shoot, scouting, finding land to hunt and everything else. These guys here on this forum are an immense help and have more experience than me for years hunting, but I am good with the getting started. My daughter however is beautiful, and a great shot it turns out. :-D

Don't worry about attractiveness. We all look about the same after a good day in the field.

- Moira
download.gif
download.gif (1010 Bytes) Viewed 981 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

MsDachshund

Postby MsDachshund » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Sierra wrote:Well wow. I have certainly tried to formulate a reply to this, but well wow.

- Moira

That's kinda what I figured. Whatch gonna see under all that gear! You should be with us when we go fishing! they shut up when we go to cleaning the fish without out batting a false eyelash or messing up our lipstick! LOL! Anyway, I guess we should start with a weapon. I'm thinking a high powered rifle. Any recommendations?

MsDachshund

Postby MsDachshund » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:46 pm

kellory wrote:SEND PICS! Just kidding! ;) Welcome to the forum. We have all type of hunters and hunting from old fogies who move so slow the deer don't they're are alive, to snap shooters. nose bleed cowboys (very high) to ground pounders in blinds. stalkers and stump-sitters. There are a great number of ways to hunt, and it would take a lifetime to perfect them all. Feel free to look around, there is a great deal of info here. You have questions, ask. And you are not alone here, there are many women on this site, and over 10,000 members. Someone can answer just about any question you can ask, (and it might even be right!) Enjoy! :)

Thanks so much for replying and taking us seriously! I will be asking questions. Lots of questions. :D

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Ma'am, start with what the rules are for where you will be hunting."Davidson county, North Carolina ." Check with you DNR or your local hunting shop, and pick up a copy of the rules (these change a bit each years, so we ALL need to check for changes ) Some states are rifle states, and others are shotgun states. Ohio, for example, is a shotgun state, so we can not use rifles on deer. It is one of the dumb rules in my humble opinion(IMHO) because I can use a 30-06 on rabbits but not on deer.

This is from your rule book, and very open on choice of weapon:
"Weapons and Dogs
● Archery. During the archery season the following are legal
weapons: bows and arrows and crossbows (both described
on page 42). It is unlawful to carry any type of firearm or to
use a dog while hunting deer during this season, except to
retrieve a wounded deer. See page 42 for details.
● Muzzleloader. During the muzzleloader season the following
are legal weapons: bows and arrows, crossbows (both described
on page 42), muzzleloading rifles and muzzleloading shotguns.
It is unlawful to carry a pistol or to use a dog while hunting deer
during this season, except to retrieve a wounded deer. See
page 42 for details.
● Gun. During the gun season the following are legal weapons: bows
and arrows, crossbows (both described on page 42), muzzleloading rifles, muzzleloading shotguns, shotguns, rifles and
pistols. Caliber restrictions for pistols are on page 42. Hunters
may use dogs to hunt deer during this season in counties
indicated on the map on page 52, and to retrieve a wounded
deer. See page 42 for details."

I will leave it to the experts to chime in with the best choice in rifles or shotguns. ;)

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:11 pm

I would suggest some legwork first. Determine if you can use a rifle or not. If not, I always recommend starting with a remington 870 shotgun, since I started with one. Slug barrel. Go to your range that you have locally and ask to get started shooting there. They have classes. Also, you are probably required to take a hunter's safety class through your DNR in order to hunt, and those are not only a wealth of information, but a way to meet other hunters. If they offer multiple classes, take the longest, most intensive class they have. I had a 5 day class that also worked towards a CCW. Once you are shooting, then that's a start. You can try various firearms at the range. While you work on that, figure out the WHERE part. Will you be looking for public land? Private land can be found as well. Knock on doors at promising farms and ask permission. Read a lot. Go out too the land a lot. How old is your kid?
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:48 pm

If you are gonna hunt deer with a rifle, I would recommend calibers like the 30-30, 30-06, .270, .308, . Check your State's game regulations and be sure the unit or zone you are hunting can be hunted with rifles, shotguns, or both. I don't know squat about shotguns, hopefully someone here can chime in on a recommended shotgun. If you are focusing on small game like squirrel, rabbit, raccoons, I would use a .22 caliber, or .410 gauge shotgun. The 22 caliber is also a good rifle for familiarization of how a rifle should work and builds confidence. It is also fun to shoot with kids or friends.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:53 pm

Welcome to the tribe! For most of us here the only thing better than talking about deer hunting is actually GOING deer hunting! I would love to see more women get involved in hunting. The women that I'd dealt with as far as hunting/shooting were all EXCELLENT students more than willing to learn, and I've also noticed that as a rule, women tend to have more acute powers of observation/detail than men do, which is a definately a positive for deer hunting.

But then I grew up around horses and livestock and the women that I find I can relate best to are those who have no trouble at all with animal poop, guts, and God knows what else. That's a REAL woman as far as I'm concerned, and NOT the ones you see portrayed on TV. How could ANYONE stand to live with them????

I have one daughter, and I taught her how to shoot a bow, rifle and handgun before she was 10. She'd also help me skin and butcher the deer I shot all the way through grammar school, high school, and college.

IMO women are a BIG part of the future of hunting!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to General Discussions