Topo map help for deer hunting success?????

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Moreaux9

Topo map help for deer hunting success?????

Postby Moreaux9 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Attached is a topographical map of our property. Our property line is the green polygon shaped boundary (rough estimate). The property is roughly 150-200 acres of 90-95% woods (mixture of pine and hardwood) surrounded by the same type of wooded area so an aerial map doesn't do much good. There is plenty of nice deer in this area and I was wondering if anyone could share with me how this topographical may give some insight in where deer are more than likely traveling due to the undulating terrain and steep hills. Where would you put up your climbing stand??
Attachments
topomap1.jpg
topomap1.jpg (140.7 KiB) Viewed 579 times

shaman

Re: Topo map help for deer hunting success?????

Postby shaman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Here's a piece I did before season this year that may be of some help:

http://genesis9.angzva.com/?p=2291

Just eyeballing the topo, I can see a pinch point on that finger ridge that might be a good spot to scout. There's also a pinch in the ridge to the south that might be of interest. I would also scout the head of the hollow formed by the creek that runs through the center of the property.

Exact stand placement? Dunno. I'd be looking for trails that look like they're getting recent use and then look for a good spot to ambush.

Another issue is with climbers themselves. If you have to cart it in, you need a good easy ingress and egress route. I don't know where you're parking, so I can't tell you what's going to work. The trick is to keep it as simple as possible. I had fantastic luck rolling the truck to within 50 yards of the tree at times. You just don't want to be clanging that climber around the woods.too much if you don't have to.

Hope this helps.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kellory

Re: Topo map help for deer hunting success?????

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:29 pm

That finger ridge to the North (?) does look like a funnel but there is 50 feet difference in elevation to the bottom, and it's right near a property line. How are you set with the neighbors? Do you have written right to pursue? Scale of map could be useful as well.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to General Discussions