be careful out there!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
luvhuntin

be careful out there!

Postby luvhuntin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:09 pm

http://www.iowadnr.gov/hunting/deerhunt ... temid/1124

pulled this story off the DNR website, Iv`e yet to purchase a muzzleloader myself so I haven`t a clue about what could of happened. I hate to hear of this happening to anyone but this guy is probably someones grandpa. sad story. I get to see on a daily basis what abuse or neglect of a mechanical device can do. please check & clean your equipment thoroughly before going afield.also please make sure you at least check if not use manufacturers recommendations on lubricants when required.

Ohio farms

Re: be careful out there!

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:24 am

Sad to hear. I constantly preach safety to the group that hunts at our farm. The little things can sometimes be what gets you in trouble.
Sounds like an obstruction caused the problem. ML are often preloaded since they are not considered loaded until the primer is in place. (in Ohio anyway). It is easy to forget that you did that, then a second bullet is loaded...boom.
Hope he recovers.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

CharlieTN

Postby CharlieTN » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Very sad. Most muzzleloader accidents come from an oversight or carelessness on the part of the shooter. It's the same with reloading, which is in essence what you are doing each time with a muzzleloader.

Mark your ramrod where it sits in the barrel when loaded correctly with your current load. Makes for an easy way to confirm whether the gun is loaded incorrectly or not.

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Charlie you were right it was double loaded. I Feel bad for the guy. They show the gun in the video I`d have to say the only thing that kept him from being killed was the quality of the steel used instead of shattering it split into strips but stayed connected at both ends of the barrel.
http://www.kcci.com/news/central-iowa/H ... index.html

Return to General Discussions