Getting Deer to the Processor in a timely manner

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Deebz

Re: Getting Deer to the Processor in a timely manner

Postby Deebz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:27 am

I definitely agree it's much cleaner to do a good job field dressing a deer than to just dive in and start hacking away...

However, careful work with a saw/hatchet has been incredibly beneficial to me when dealing with the pelvis on big bodied deer. On a small deer, I'm usually able to slit the pelvis with my knife, on bigger bodied deer, that pelvis gets pretty solid...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:54 pm

I thought not field dressing was a regional thing, especially in southern/warmer climates. Here in the upper midwest, it's done immediately.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:20 pm

I used to saw the pelvic bone in order to get to the lower plumbing, but about 10 years ago I stopped doing that. Now, the only thing I use the saw for is to cut the sternum. I use a small fillet knive to cut the connective tissue in the pelvis to remove those parts. Not splitting the pelvis helps keep the meat on the upper rear legs cleaner, and the deer doesn't flop around as much when you drag it out.

I find I have to trim the back hams a lot less when I butcher the deer since I started doing this.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:41 pm

there is not too much of a problem ... the deal i have with my in-laws is that i do not field dress a deer on the property ... have had no bad luck at all ..

take the shot .. get it recovered .. get it home .. dress it out pack it in ice till i am ready to process it or take it to a processor ...

i know that it has taken up to 3 hours with the hills to get the deer out ... and no troulbes .. but temps were between 45 and 60 degrees ...

but i will agree with WW get them dressed out "asap"!!! i do my best to get mine done as quickly as possible ...

lesson learned the hard way on the loss of that doe .... get it dressed ... packed in ice till you can get to the processor or process it yourself ...

good luck with your next one ... and i hope you get it dressed out and packed in ice ...
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:06 pm

I took a picture of my field dressing kit minus the gloves, scott towels and plastic bag. I do split the pelvis with the saw since I think it allows the hams to cool quicker. I grab the anus with the towel clip, (instrument on the far right) then cut around the anus and secure it with the plastic tie so that when I pull the intestines out nothing comes out of the rectum onto the meat. I prefer a small knife when cutting blind inside the chest and abdominal cavities. Less blade exposed to cut myself with. The wyoming knife opens the abdominal cavity without puncturing the intestines.
I wipe out the cavity with the scott towels and put everything in the plastic bag till I get home.
There are different ways to do it, but this is quick and it comes out perfectly for me.
I'll put two bags of ice, one in the chest and one over the hams until I get it home to skin it if the temp is above 40.
Attachments
field dgs kit.jpg
field dgs kit.jpg (49.24 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Last edited by Ohio farms on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:10 pm

I have one of those saws also.....they are AWESOME!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:23 pm

Yep, those saws work really well. The plastic tip keeps the saw from poking the bladder/intestines. Great little tool
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:34 pm

SHARP too!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

oletimer

Postby oletimer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:11 am

Have to agree with everyone. Gut them as soon as you can and open the body cavity to let more in. I usually beak a stick and prop the cavity open. Also when I get to somewhere with a hose I run water through the body cavity to both clean it out and help the cooling process. I like to keep the hide on and cool from the inside out. The hide it an excellent insulator if the weather is warm.
As was state...I watched too many hunting shows. Most of the shows now all say " In doubt back out" which I would have to agree with but I think way too many wait longer than necessary. There are definately times to wait but most shots are good ones and need very little wait time. The faster you find your deer the better the meat. Not sure these people on the hunting shows really care about the meat. They want video footage of the kill and the recovery [ no matter when].
It also lightens your load too. Much easier to remove and load a deer once you have gutted it [ espeicially if you hunt in areas like I do]. If your in doubt of how to gut a deer there are several youtube videos.
Sorry you had to learn the hard way but hopefully your post will enlighten others.
lead follow or get out of the way

Previous

Return to General Discussions