Buck growl/roar?? (not the Primos call)

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Crooked Creek

Buck growl/roar?? (not the Primos call)

Postby Crooked Creek » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:03 am

Hello all! I don't post much but I'm always lurking and learning. I love the forum and the insight that is brought to the table. I had an experience in the woods while hunting last week that left me a bit puzzled at the time. I was sitting in my climber and about 9:30 and heard a deer blow behind me 3 times and come running from around the ridge I was near. I don't know if it was a buck or doe because it came running by so fast and into the nearby thicket. Naturally I just thought it busted me but I heard something else chasing it and making this deep growling sound but never saw what was giving chase. After talking to my hunting buddies about whether it was a hog, coyote, or something, one said that it possibly could have been a buck growling either chasing a doe or chasing away another buck. After mulling it over I am pretty certain the first deer didn't bust me. I just happened to be around to see some unusual action. I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced something similar and wanted to get your thoughts and opinions. I hunted the whole week and that pretty much was all the activity I saw but if it was indeed a buck roar/growl I heard, I call that a success because every one I ask say they've heard of if but never actually heard it in the woods. What say you fellow hunters?

Sam Menard

Re: Buck growl/roar?? (not the Primos call)

Postby Sam Menard » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:39 pm

Cool experience, thanks for sharing it. Definitely sounds like a frustrated buck was chasing a doe. I once heard a buck growl, it sounded like a chainsaw on brief idle. IMO, learning new things about deer behaviour can be just as exciting as the hunt itself.

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

Crooked Creek

Postby Crooked Creek » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:22 pm

I agree Sam. It's near to actually experience firsthand all the stuff I read about in magazines.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:54 pm

Pretty cool. Deer are amazing animals. You never know what you will experience when you spend time in the woods.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Return to General Discussions