New Hunter Advice

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
jay.dough

New Hunter Advice

Postby jay.dough » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:29 pm

This is my first season hunting and I am looking for some help to bag a deer before the season ends (one weekend left) I am looking for any tips or ideas that anyone might have to help make me successful next weekend.
I am hunting on public land that has a lot of pressure (Wilmington, IL Des Planes). I have been out 8 times this year and have seen deer a few times, but nothing has been in my range. This weekend one of the hunters I met out there said that there is so much pressure that the deer aren't moving far from their beds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Deebz

Re: New Hunter Advice

Postby Deebz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:51 pm

Late season is tough man... are you in a county with a late season firearm? If so, I'd set up in an area overlooking the best field that looks like it still has corn and lots of sign that deer are using it. Try to get between a bedding area and the food source and sit tight where you've got the most options for a good shot.

If you are going with the bow, I'd try to set up on a trail 20-30 yds inside a treeline with lots of sign showing deer moving out into a field to feed... Bottom line, FOOD SOURCE.... it's getting really cold again, which should help with getting deer up and moving (I think the above normal temps this year has kept deer movement down more than pressure, though it could be argued that warmer temps also equal more people hunting)

Pay special attention to the wind, your scent, your noise, and your movement... it is late season, these deer have seen a lot of people by now. Try to be as invisible as possible. If you can hack it, an all day sit on Saturday looks good as we have another sharp drop in temps coming through saturday night... (I hunt in Iroquois county, just south and east of you)

If it's any consolation, the simple fact that this is your first year hunting and you are still pumped to get out there says a lot. I hunted for many years before I killed my first deer with a bow, and I'm far from being a master at the game. Getting to the point where you are out there and actually seeing deer is always the first milestone. Keep it up, the more experience you get, the more you learn, and you eventually can just really get a feel for your hunting spot and you'll start connecting.

Let us know how it turns out! Also... if you have the ability to post any kind of aerial view (google maps type thing) and a description of the spot you are hunting there are a couple of guys on the forum who are pretty good at suggesting stand setups...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Like Deebz said, late in the season on public land can be tough. These deer are going to me hunter wise. I'd try to use other hunters to more deer to me. If you can figure out from where the hunters will enter the woods ie, parking lots, roadside pull offs, then position yourself upwind from them. Be in place well before they arrive taking a different route than the one they might take so as not to disturb the deer, if possible. Good luck.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:18 am

If you can find the thickets, nasty brush, thick stuff that you have to use hip waders to get to first, then crawl into,...set-up there.
If you find the bedding area.......hunt in it if you can get in and have shooting lanes (google map can help), at the very least sit tight on the perimeter. As mentioned, get in early. Get in a minimum an hour before sunrise. Don't be deflated if you kick something up. If its a place he felt secure in all season, he'll/they'll come back.

Or hunt the parking perimeter. :D Sounds funny I know. but its worth a shot.
I remember the last day of a special opp hunt I had drawn. 2 days.........nothing, saw nothing.
Last evening out, I pulled just out of the property pass the hunters campsite/parking.
5 deer were standing on the corner
I've read and heard some of you midwest folks' stories about late season public land hunts and big deer taken in that manner.

Good luck, post the pics when you get 'em!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

charlie

Postby charlie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Like they said above. Food source, bedding area and try and keep the wind in your favor. Try not to enter walking in the open where they can watch from their bed. If possible get in early.
Good luck

Return to General Discussions