Tactical Treatment of Gunshot & Knife Wounds

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DrG

Tactical Treatment of Gunshot & Knife Wounds

Postby DrG » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Tactical Treatment of Gunshot and Knife Wounds

This is a unique opportunity to learn what steps to take to stabilize a victim of a gunshot wound or serious penetrating trauma (including knife wounds) for the 3-30 minutes it may take until the ambulance arrives. This may be a family member, innocent by-stander or even yourself. This class based on principles of tactical medicine is designed for home owners/defenders, firearm instructors, and police/security officers, concerned citizens, etc..
In this class you will learn critical anatomy, ballistic impact, managing the three major causes of death, using hemostatic agents, using tourniquets, putting together a trauma kit for home and vehicle and other topics to keep a person alive until help arrives. This class is presented both as classroom theory and practical hands on training. Be sure to bring a pen and paper for taking notes.

Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds is taught by a paramedic with the Chicago Fire Department with over 26 years of experience on the tough inner city streets.

When: Saturday February 2, 2013
Where: Cabela’s 7700 Cabela Dr., Hammond, In. 46324 (219) 845-9071
(Take I-94 East to Indianapolis Blvd. South) 2nd Fl Conference room
Time: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Cost: $85.00 (if you wish to use a credit card, you may do so with Pay Pal, via the web site)

From more information, and/ or to register for this class contact Gerald Vernon at 773-415-1814
Be sure to visit our web site at: http://www.personalprotectionconsultants.com

Class size is limited to 20 people.

kellory

Re: Tactical Treatment of Gunshot & Knife Wounds

Postby kellory » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:31 pm

Welcome to the forum. An interesting first post, but it does violate our rules. It may have serious value, if needed, but if you wish to advertise on this site, you must see Big Ben first. You can reach him here :E-mail me at Ben.Sobieck@fwmedia.com. Good luck.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:55 pm

I agree with Kel. It sounds like a great class. In fact the topic would make for a great thread here and article in D&DH. But you are asking for $80 per seat and not giving away the info, so you should pay for the ad.

Best of luck with your class. I wish it were in my area.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:40 pm

Sorry for the repeat
Last edited by Ohio farms on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:40 pm

That seems like an awful lot of information to absorb and put into practice in 4 hours. It sounds much more than first aid.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:11 pm

I took a first aid class for free last year. Thanks anyway.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm

In all fairness. The tactical/medical community has learned an amazing amount about penetrating trauma in the last decade and they have greatly expanded the use of clotting agents and things like the resQgard that are saving lives on the battlefield and in the streets. Furthermore, the military has developed systems to teach these things to young soldiers and foreign nationals with minimal medical knowledge. If it is actually being taught by CFD Medics, it is legit.

In all honesty, if someone has a significant penetrating wound in a remote location, the only thing your first aid class is going to do is give you something to do while you or your buddy bleeds to death.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:46 pm

JPH wrote:In all fairness. The tactical/medical community has learned an amazing amount about penetrating trauma in the last decade and they have greatly expanded the use of clotting agents and things like the resQgard that are saving lives on the battlefield and in the streets. Furthermore, the military has developed systems to teach these things to young soldiers and foreign nationals with minimal medical knowledge. If it is actually being taught by CFD Medics, it is legit.

In all honesty, if someone has a significant penetrating wound in a remote location, the only thing your first aid class is going to do is give you something to do while you or your buddy bleeds to death.

I agree, being a first responder trained in high angle rope rescue, confined space rescue and everything in between... its a tall order to really do anything in a remote area when someone has some sort of major penetrating wound. I hope I never have to use my training in that situation.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 am

So is he violating the DDH rules or not........hmmmm??
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 am

In my opinion he is. Seems pretty cut and dried: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1364

...still an interesting subject though.

Next

Return to General Discussions