Beginning Hunting

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
benjames1285

Beginning Hunting

Postby benjames1285 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:25 pm

Hey guys, I just joined the forum today! New member! But i started shooting last weekend for the first time and I shot a an overunder Baretta 12 gauge shotgun and I really enjoyed it a lot. A lot of my family hunts and is very into it and I really want to get into it myself. I am 20 years old and I have literally no experience with guns what so ever. I wanted to know if you guys could give me information about rifles as I want to buy one and pursue deer hunting later this year. I want to learn as much about that type of gun as a can, I want to know the ins and outs of it and be able to talk and know what certain things mean about it. Could you guys possibly hook me up with information and what to look for. As much help as I can get please from all the hunting experts on here. Like what I want to be shooting and what I can handle. What guns are good for hunting, what bullets, all that jazz please. I know very little about guns in the first place but that is why I joined the forum. Thank you all

Ben

kellory

Re: Beginning Hunting

Postby kellory » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:29 pm

benjames1285 wrote:Hey guys, I just joined the forum today! New member! But i started shooting last weekend for the first time and I shot a an overunder Baretta 12 gauge shotgun and I really enjoyed it a lot. A lot of my family hunts and is very into it and I really want to get into it myself. I am 20 years old and I have literally no experience with guns what so ever. I wanted to know if you guys could give me information about rifles as I want to buy one and pursue deer hunting later this year. I want to learn as much about that type of gun as a can, I want to know the ins and outs of it and be able to talk and know what certain things mean about it. Could you guys possibly hook me up with information and what to look for. As much help as I can get please from all the hunting experts on here. Like what I want to be shooting and what I can handle. What guns are good for hunting, what bullets, all that jazz please. I know very little about guns in the first place but that is why I joined the forum. Thank you all

Ben

Welcome benjames1285. you have come to the right place! ;) there are guys on here who can answer nearly any question about guns you can ask. i will let the experts fill you in there. if you are wanting a rifle for deer hunting, make sure to check your states gun laws first, (some states are shotgun only, others are rifle only) it would be a shame to buy something, you could not use. And , some laws make no real sense, such as I can use a 30-06 on a rabbit legally (stupidly, there would be nothing left) but not on deer. Shotgun only here in Ohio, so pick up a rule book, and study it.
I'm more of a tracker, if I can help, let me know. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

benjames1285

Postby benjames1285 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Thank you! And I live in Wisconsin where my uncle hunts so I believe it is all Rifle and compound bows for deer if I am not mistaken. But where would I happen to get a "rule book" from? But yeah I have a few of my friends and my brother who would like to start hunting as a guy hobby type of thing and I Trap shoot now with a shotgun so. Just something that interests me and i want to get into.

xmatax

Postby xmatax » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Hello and welcome! It's always exciting to see someone wanting to pick up the sport. First thing you need to do is go out and pick up a subscription of Deer and Deer Hunting the magazine :)~ Ok, you don't have to but it helps.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37311&start=10

That is a similar thread that was started about a new hunter and has a lot of the basic questions you might have. Once you have picked up on the basics you'll be able to ask more specific questions as not everyone has the same "style" of hunting.

Also, you said your family hunts...They will obviously have a great amount of knowledge with regards to hunting in your specific area. Ask them questions as well. We are all students of hunting and no one has truly "mastered" it, but everyone has tips and tricks that have helped them become more successful over the years.

benjames1285

Postby benjames1285 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:20 pm

xmatax wrote:Hello and welcome! It's always exciting to see someone wanting to pick up the sport. First thing you need to do is go out and pick up a subscription of Deer and Deer Hunting the magazine :)~ Ok, you don't have to but it helps.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37311&start=10

That is a similar thread that was started about a new hunter and has a lot of the basic questions you might have. Once you have picked up on the basics you'll be able to ask more specific questions as not everyone has the same "style" of hunting.

Also, you said your family hunts...They will obviously have a great amount of knowledge with regards to hunting in your specific area. Ask them questions as well. We are all students of hunting and no one has truly "mastered" it, but everyone has tips and tricks that have helped them become more successful over the years.

Yeah my Uncle is a very experienced hunter, he has hunted in Africa and a couple parts of Europe so he has a great knowledge of it. But I don't see him to often because I work so much during the week but I'll have to hit him up soon. But yes I'm glad you find it as intriguing as I do, because I really am interested in it as a whole. Not just specifically deer hunting but in general as well as guns. Thank you for the link though! I'll take a look at it now.

benjames1285

Postby benjames1285 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:20 pm

And if anyone could tell me a good rifle to start off with that isn't breaking the bank that would be awesome. I think I can handle a good solid rifle, just to give you an idea of my build, i'm not some skinny kid lol I'm 5'10 200 pounds and very stocky so I think if I could handle the kick on a 12 gauge with ease I can handle a rifle. Let me know please!

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:26 pm

benjames1285,
Welcome to the forum. The website dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/regulations.html will give you last years rules for hunting in Wisconsin.Or go to
dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/wm/wm0431.pdf
Check back closer to next fall for the latest version

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Wow, man! Asking for the best rifle is going to generate a WIDE range opinions. Shooters have been debating that question since the invention of gunpowder! Even so, I'll toss my hat in the ring.

It is my opinion that the 30.06 is the single greatest big game caliber ever made. It is highly accuarte and hits like a ton of bricks. You can buy ammo that will drop anything from coyotes to bear. It's the All American rifle. I shoot a Savage 111 chambered in 30.06. It was inexpensive when I bought it in 1997 and it has never let me down.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:38 am

Howdy and welcome.

The fact of the matter is that just about any centerfire rifle is going to kill a deer, given the right circumstances. The first trick is going to be defining how you will be hunting the deer and then finding a rifle that fits you and your style of hunting.

Check this out:

http://genesis9.angzva.com/?p=404

. . . and then start poking around. You will find a lot of what you need on my weblog.

Also check out the threads in the Guns and Ammo section of this forum. A lot of folks have been asking the same questions.

My general advice is this:

1) See if you can borrow a 30-06 or 308 and give it a try. They mark the boundary of average acceptable recoil. If you're using a shotgun you're probably not recoil shy.
2) Do not worry about taking deer beyond 200 yards anytime soon. Most deer are taken within 85 yards.
3) Stay away from anything with a "Magnum" in the name. It is not necessary for taking deer
4) As far as action is concerned, any action (bolt, pump, lever, etc.) is going to work. It all depends on your preference, and that is something you will have to develop over time.
5) Scopes are not necessary, but they are handy. All my deer rifles have scopes, because I'm an old fart and my eyes went bad about a decade ago.
6) . . .

. . . oops. Gotta run. I'll try and add something later.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:21 am

Greetings, human! :-D I am all in on the 30.06 as well. I love to shoot it. I live in Ohio, which is shotgun only, but I have shot a 30.06 plenty and I bet you would like it. You can call your local range and see if you can rent one to try...generally the rates are very reasonable, and certainly cheaper than buying something you regret later. If possible, hit up one of your hunting family members to try what they have as well as seek recommendations.

Are you much into reading? There are a couple of decent books out there to help beginning hunters.

So, welcome to the forum. You will find everyone really helpful!
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Next

Return to General Discussions