Looking for new neighbors

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Looking for new neighbors

Postby shaman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:58 am

I just found out that yet another of my good hunting neighbors has put his property up for sale. His problem is family-related-- has nothing to do with the property. In fact, the property generally has more deer and turkey taken off of it than mine.

The overall problem seems to be the Economy. All told, there are half a dozen good places I've seen with for-sale signs recently here in SW Bracken County, KY. My reason for mentioning this.is that I hope someone with a love of hunting snatches up Wally's place and we can cooperate on things like QDM. My worst fear is that these properties lay fallow too long.

My place is 200 acres and has excellent deer and turkey hunting. You can see pictures of it here:

http://www.blackholecoffeehouse.com/interest.htm

There are big bucks regularly taken around us. I have a 165 in buck. There was a 13 pointer taken on Wally's property a few years ago that was spectacular. It's in Zone 1, so you can take as many anterless deer as you want in season. KY allows centerfire rifle, and the modern weapons season runs through the peak of the rut until after Thanksgiving. SW Bracken County, KY is a hot place for deer.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

shaman

Re: Looking for new neighbors

Postby shaman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:27 am

I have a pic of the place, at least the part I can see.

http://www.blackholecoffeehouse.com/pooh_04_18_2008.htm

Wally's place starts up the road from me about 1/4 mile. It's over a hundred acres and joins me along nearly my whole north side. In the pic, you've got my Thoughtful Spot, and then all that far hillside on all the way to nearly the big walnut tree is his. I own down to the creek. He owns the other side. Just before you get to the big walnut tree there is a little house waaaaaay over on the other ridge. Wally's cabin is next door to that little white speck of a house about a half mile up the road. If I was standing on tippy-toes on the thoughtful spot, I could see it-- nice little blue and white jobl he built less than 10 years ago.

http://cdn.homes.com/cgi-bin/readimage/1950335446

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:40 am

One of those pics in your second post looked very neat.

Are you hoping a DDH member wlll be your new neighbor? :lol:
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:04 pm

I wish I was at a point in my life where I could buy some property... I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not going to be getting any cheaper or easier to come by in the next couple of decades.

It would be especially awesome to buy land with a guaranteed awesome neighbor!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:56 pm

That would be interesting indeed. I wish I could afford to buy property. i think the campfires would be interesting as well, as the neighbors show up, ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:18 pm

Tell ya what... If I ever win millions in the lottery, or shoot a world record buck (yeah right!), or end up with lots of extra cash... I would definitely fund a hunting/fishing trip of some sort and everybody here would be invited!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:13 pm

"The overall problem seems to be the Economy."

Gee....ya think? :o

Tell you what, just wait a bit...like to about a year from now...and they may PAY YOU to take it!

We're not only not at the bottom of the hole, we haven't even SEEN the bottom of the hole yet! On top of everything else, just wait until Obama's Health Care Tax on anyone breathing kicks in. After the full effect of that takes hold, then the economic collapse will really begin.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:26 am

Well, there are other reasons too.

I've got another buddy that's selling out his place, because he's getting too old to work the farm. The rural population is aging.

The cost of gas is causing many folks that didn't used to mind the long commute into work to think twice.

The hunting population is aging. There are not enough young people coming in to sustain the numbers. Some places are going up for sale for lack of interest.

There is rural blight. Land is still cheap. You can get a used trailer, plunk it down on an acre and live off welfare, and poach game.

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:38 am

Shaman
Do you have any idea how much Wally is asking for the 100 acres.
My brother just moved to Versallies & between him & I we could have some intrest. What is the address?
It is only 1 1/2 drive for him to look at it.

Thanks
Bruce
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:10 am

shaman wrote:Well, there are other reasons too.

I've got another buddy that's selling out his place, because he's getting too old to work the farm. The rural population is aging.

The cost of gas is causing many folks that didn't used to mind the long commute into work to think twice.

The hunting population is aging. There are not enough young people coming in to sustain the numbers. Some places are going up for sale for lack of interest.

There is rural blight. Land is still cheap. You can get a used trailer, plunk it down on an acre and live off welfare, and poach game.

I have 6 uncles, all were farmers at one point. All had large families with many sons and daughters. Not ONE of my 30+ cousins has taken to the tractor. All the lands are gone sans my closest uncle (where I hunt in MI). He is 85 and still does his own hay. But leases the rest of his land out. All the small farmers are gone. Getting out.
In MI however, farmland................not cheap at all. A cousins g-pa in law died a month ago, he had 100 acres with an old farmhouse, sold at auction for 390K I believe. Thats some coin, but with the return on corn and soybeans right now, the big outfits are snapping it up.
Wooded land however......not so pricey.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Next

Return to General Discussions