Mineral enhancements

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
rthomas4

Re: Mineral enhancements

Postby rthomas4 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:47 am

I had never heard of dical, either; so I looked it up and discovered it's calcium and vitamin D, but also none of the feed and seed stores around here knew what I was talking about either.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri May 03, 2013 7:55 am

Thats the stuff xmatax.
We dont have a TSC nearby BUT there is one on the way to the property!
Thanks for the info!!

$32 + tax for all 3! Nice. 150#
It was $18 for 50# of the premix type they had.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

xmatax

Postby xmatax » Sat May 04, 2013 9:53 am

I did my research on the stuff since it's basically for livestock and not specific to deer. The vitamins and minerals and nutrients are basically identical to the di-cal mixture and since it's for all types of livestock I figure it shouldn't hurt the deer. I was a bit skeptical when I first decided to try it, but it seems to be doing the trick. Hopefully the weather is great for everyone this weekend and you can get into the woods and start prepping for summer/fall!

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sun May 05, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks for the Attention to Mineral/Salt Licks Sailfish! :D ;)

Another thing we do is make seperate mineral licks or even add minerals to our existing salt licks,during the early Spring is when the Deer need minerals for added Antler growth and the Dical helps in producing milk for the Doe's Fawns when they are born in the Spring!It is a lot cheaper to make Your own mineral licks than to buy it in most stores.

Another thing we have made is the Arm & Hammer Salt Licks where we dig up a small area of dirt breaking it up fine then and pour a 1/2 a box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda then pour about 20lbs of rock salt on top and add the rest of the box of A & H and let the rain soak it into the ground for the Deer to eat and lick.We usually refresh it every 3-4 months.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed May 08, 2013 8:02 am

I got out early sat morning and went to the property

Luckily for me, one of the areas I had in mind was a well utilized travel/feed corridor and it just so happens it was also recently cleared by the hogs :lol:
All I had to do was move some sticks and a few leaves, take my heavy rake (think its called a bow rake ironically) and smoothed out the area they rooted up(if you haven't ever seen it, they can make depressions and mounds that will make your Jeep bottom out). Spread about 30-40# of the product around the clearing and then used the rake to push it off the top of the soil. Set up a camera.
I saw GTO mentioned he refreshes about 3-4 months. I think that will work out for me. This area is between two doe bedding spots. I learned the hard way.......they don't like me there much. I'll check the camera in a month, if its gonna work like I hope, i'll hang stands, prep shooting lanes, and only make one last visit before opening to refresh the minerals/salt.

I also went to another area on the property and made a smaller lick area. I didn't want to go to crazy since there are hundreds of free ranging cattle in that part. But its 100+ yards from where I killed a buck last year. I know he had pals, so i'm hoping the survived (one was very wide), we'll see if I can get something on the camera there.

Now if someone can tell me how to start a food plot that cattle and hogs won't eat but just the deer...........i'd be much appreciative :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the input everyone!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Previous

Return to General Discussions