Did I Miss Something.....

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

Did I Miss Something.....

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:23 pm

.....or did the basic rule of elevated bowhunting in regards to "BEND AT THE WAIST" change? And why wasn't I told?

You may be asking, "Now just WHY does WW say this?"

Good question, and here's the answer. I was just looking over the recent edition of D&DH, and every single picture that showed a bowhunter at full draw in a tree showed them with a dropped bow arm and a raised drawing arm elbow while their bodies were still straight up and down.

So what gives? Are today's faster/higher/wider bow SOO fast that you don't have to worry about all the bad things that happen to your aim point and arrow flight when you don't bend at the waist? This is what I was taught WAAY back in the pre-compound days, and what I'VE taught the people that I've started bowhunting.

So, INFORM ME!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

charlie 01

Re: Did I Miss Something.....

Postby charlie 01 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:52 pm

That's the way I've always known it to be, bend at the waist. But maybe with bow sights and peep sights bending at the waist is no longer neccessary, I don't know. I'll have to try it and see. Or is it just a draw set up for pictured advertisement?
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:29 am

Both pics were from ads, but you'd think that they'd at least try to show their models doing it the right way, as not doing it the right way doesn't exactly give credibility to what they are trying to sell.

But like I said, maybe that's not the case anymore with the super fast bows or the mechanical heads that are like "throwing an axe through a deer" so if your shot isn't right where it ought to be then the bigger hole compensates for it in the minds of some hunters.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:12 am

OOOPS! Both pics are NOT from ads, but from D&DH articles, one for the new products, and one for the article about treestand harnesses.

Now I'm even more confused. What's the deal, editors?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:14 am

Maybe post kill pics cuz they didn't get it right the first time??
But you'd think you'd "practice like you play" would still be shown. :?:
Funny, first thing I do and first thing through my mind after I draw is "waist!" and I'm not as seasoned with the bow as most of you.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:23 am

What's a bow? :D
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:50 pm

Maybe, being that all these new bows are a lot shorter you do not have to bend at the waist. Back in the DAY, those recurves and early compounds were longer, making you bend and lean out so the bottom limb didn't hit anything.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu May 02, 2013 6:54 am

That's true Charlie, but limb length was not the only reason. There's also the dynamics of your form in realtion to your bow arm and the angle from your eye to the sight. That shouldn't change regardless of bow length. Not bending at the waist for a low angle shot changes all that math.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu May 02, 2013 10:18 pm

As much as possible, an archer should always try to maintain a 90 degree angle between his bow/drawing arms and his body when shooting form ANY angle, no less from an elevated position. The only way to do this is by bending at the waist, something that is NOT shown in the pics on pages 41 and 51.

Both those pics show a bowhunter wearing a body harness. Now, I've never used a body harness when I treestand hunted. I used a safety belt that attached at my waist. I used to have it adjusted so that when I had a shot I could lean out from it so that I could bend at the waist. Maybe with a body harness you can't do that, which if true would make them an unsuitable choice for treestand bowhunting. But like I said, I've never used one. Maybe those of you that have can set me straight on this.

Either way, what those pics show is not good archery form for whatever reason.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Return to General Discussions