Deer Scouting?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Msmithe21

Deer Scouting?

Postby Msmithe21 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:25 am

Hey guys, so recently I have been going out into the woods that I plan on hunting and I have found deer droppings and old rub marks and even some tracks. My real question is how do you put it all together to find a succesful hunting spot? It seems like I cant put it all together to find where I should hang a treestand. Should I hang my stands on the sign or roughly near it? Or should I look for the bigger area that I can see all of it. I am very new to hunting so mind the stupid question haha I just want to learn how to find some good spots. Also if it helps I will be hunting out of a climber stand so I can move from trees depending on conditions and such. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
-Mike

rthomas4

Re: Deer Scouting?

Postby rthomas4 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:57 am

I wouldn't hang a stand directly over a trail, rub, or scrape; so I'd suggest locating a couple of trees that overlook the area that would provide you with some options based on the wind direction. I've never used a climber or a hang on type of stand, since I use ladder stands, ground blinds, and permanent tower blinds and shooting houses, so my suggestions are based strictly on my 50 years of hunting.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Thu May 30, 2013 5:32 pm

If Your Bow Hunting I would put Your climber just off from a rub line or in the Fall close to where You find any ground scrapes,even better if You can be near a food source and travel route!A lot of times the Deer will be moving/traveling a different route in late Oct and Nov compared to Spring and Summer...with a Climber You can always move it if You see the Deer traveling or coming out in a different area than where Your set up! :D ;)

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:56 am

I guess I should have stated that all of my hunting is done with a rifle if I'm still hunting, and a shotgun if I'm hunting with the dogs.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri May 31, 2013 9:57 am

The general rule is simple:
1) Find the food
2) Find the bed
3) Draw a line between
4) Hunt along that line.

Now, in your case, you've found a couple of points on the line. Work on finding the two end points. Somewhere along that line will be your best place to hunt. A lot of guys see a rub line or a scrape and think they've got it made. In actuality, the best place to hunt them may be somewhere else along the line.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Msmithe21

Postby Msmithe21 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:47 pm

Now I know this is off topic,but I figured save the time starting a new thread what gear do you guys think I should get and does camo really play a huge role? can I use cheap walmart camos also for hunting packs what do you guys recommend or better yet please tell me what your gear load out was to start out I really don't wanna spend a ton of money, but I wanna get the most essentials to hunt in the beginning.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:47 pm

Sorry, I walk out my back door and either walk or ride my 4 wheeler to one of my stands to still hunt. If I'm going to the hunting club, then I put some tp, in my stool, along with extra shotgun shells, some bug spray and my ThermaCELL, and strap that onto my 4 wheeler and drive it down into the swamp as far as I can get before walking on in with hip waders to a small island where I can set up my stool and sit while listening for the dogs.

As far as camo goes, I buy the cheapest I can find, whether it's at Walmart, Maxway, Fred's, or BassPro when they have a sale. Hell, I'll even hit the army surplus booths at the flea market a couple of times a year.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri May 31, 2013 8:26 pm

From what I have read on the subject, the most effective camo pattern is a mix of several patterns. it breaks you up even more than any one pattern. the most important things are scent, and movement. Both can give you away in a hurry.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Usually any good Camo will work just fine....it's the scent/smell that will give Your position away and as mentioned any movement or if Your skylined and Your silhouette/outline is showing!Be sure to wash all Your Hunting Clothes in scent-free detergent and spray down with scent killer spray,I also wear rubber boots and use them only for scouting or hunting.I also take showers with scent-free soap and do not use any cologne or scented anti-persperant!

As far as buying different gear see what works for others and save yourself time and money by getting items that work well,last a long time and better Your Hunt.Some items work well in certain areas and under different conditions and times of the year.The best gear is the ones that help You keep scent down and keep You comfortable so You can Hunt longer and spend more time in the Outdoors! ;)

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:36 am

When asked about an effective camo, I like to point to this picture:

I do not mean to claim camo is unnecessary; however, when you figure that I can be up a 15 foot ladder stand and have deer walking by, even stopping to eat acorns under my stand with THAT just a few feet over their heads, the question of Obsession vs 4D vs Trebark seems a bit silly.

I did not always feel this way. In fact for a long time I was really absorbed in it.

More later.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to General Discussions