Coyote removal help deer ?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
droptinehunter1

Coyote removal help deer ?

Postby droptinehunter1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:28 pm

I snared 32 coyotes within a mile of my hunting area last year,,,, noticed on you tube where 2 coyotes killed a full grown buck in front of a trail camera. Now I know where the bucks that survived season were going. Anyone else have this much of a problem with coyotes?

charlie 01

Re: Coyote removal help deer ?

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:52 pm

Big problems with coyotes. Was wondering what state you are in.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

droptinehunter1

Postby droptinehunter1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:33 am

Northern,KY

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:10 am

I kill every damn one of 'em that I can. I'll pass up a shot on a deer, to kill a 'yote. Right now I've gotten trail cam pictures of a whole pack, and I'm not seeing but a few fawns on my pictures. Over the last three or four years, I've probably killed close to a dozen of 'em, both here on my place and at my dog club. I even killed several that were running one of our beagles a couple of years ago. We also have a big problem with coy dogs and feral wild dogs, which I also will kill in an instant. I'll even stop and kill 'em when I see 'em on the side of the road even if they aren't near my place. We have packs that run all over the county. I've seen the same pack in every direction as much as twenty miles from where I saw 'em last.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

droptinehunter1

Postby droptinehunter1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:42 pm

24 of the 32 were females,,, I think they just travel in front of the male most of the time,,, like doe deer in front of bucks,,,, and so their the first down the trail and caught.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:08 pm

They say a female can have 2 litters of pups a year. At that rate it dosen't take long to build up a sizeable pack.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:12 pm

charlie 01 wrote:They say a female can have 2 litters of pups a year. At that rate it dosen't take long to build up a sizeable pack.

Not just that, but they are pressure sensitive as well. kill a few, and the pack grows. To be effective, they must be hit hard, and killed in large numbers.

http://www.newsreview.com/chico/coyote- ... id=9154522

Written by a non/anti-hunter, and the comments are worth reading as well. (know your enemy)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:31 am

Kellory's right. You need to take out about 70% of the population every year to keep them in check. If you just nibble at the edges, the coyotes just start having bigger litters.

I'm in NKY as well and the coyotes have been terrible around here.

Were you in the Bracken County Coyote Derby?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

droptinehunter1

Postby droptinehunter1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:27 pm

No not in any Derby ,,, gave all the stinky critters to a local trapper to skin. Just wanted to get rid of them.

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:03 pm

We had a lot of coyotes in southwest VA. In addition to population reduction methods, when we would go groundhog hunting on local farms, the coyotes would eat the remains of the hogs and leave the fawns dropped that summer alone. Trail cam photos indicated higher fawn numbers than in years past without intense groundhog hunting. Now this could be a coincidence, a lot of other factors involved, but alternative food sources would reduce the need for coyotes to prey on deer. Look at ways to boost rabbit and other small mammal populations etc. through better habitat management, reduced hunting, etc. and all will benefit including the deer and your hunting.

not to change the subject but if your interested, groundhog hunts available for viewing at www.deer30outdoors.com/hunting/small-game/

Next

Return to General Discussions