who would post a pic like this ?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Homunculi

who would post a pic like this ?

Postby Homunculi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:10 pm

well on a FB page ... might be or was a fan to called hillbillybone ... i made a comment on this pic saying it was discusting and stupid .. to have possed or posted a pic like this saying "no wonder peta and animal rights activists hate hunters" .... ... i was nice and polite about it ... did not use foul words ...

but every comment i made deleted and i cannot see the page anymore might be a good thing ....

what is your thoughts on some one posting a pic like this
Attachments
bs.jpg
bs.jpg (53.04 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

ajkremer22

Re: who would post a pic like this ?

Postby ajkremer22 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Can't say it is something I would do and agree anti hunting groups would use it to help push their agenda. It would be nice to see people respect the game a little more and take a more tasteful picture and post that. Leave ones like this for their home collection.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:32 pm

this is the reply to me ...

Hillbilly Bone

I took that pic from my phone all alone and had to lean down as it was a bad camera angle and did not see how it was ammo for PETA or any other group.... I respect all game and the hunting heritage so let's call it truse and drop this.... you have your opinion and I have mine.....~Big John
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:03 pm

I'm not sure if he was trying to get lucky, or qualify for his gangland "bones". But at least she is dead, and doesn't wake up nights seeing that face in all it's contorted glory. And I though "Bozo the Clown" was dead.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:57 am

Maybe it was his first kill or his first kill with a bow. I can't say I agree with his choice of pose, but also can't speak to everyone's concept of expressing joy. I'm not a big fan of having my picture taken, but since I'm usually in a contest or two, there are picture requirements so those are usually the only ones in which I'm in the picture with my kill. As for the PETA folks and their ilk, I really could care less about how they view hunters, and if he posted the picture in an effort to pizz some liberal group off, I'd say he might have succeeded. I'm much more concerned with hunters attacking other hunters and feeding the propaganda machine of the antis than some guy posting a picture on his facebook or a forum page.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:42 am

Perhaps you should have geared your dislike of the photo in this manner...

I would think that even though, you have a nice bowkill on the doe, you might consider that particular photo as one for a family album only....seeing any future employer could see your Facebook page with your pose not making you look very intelligent...Just a thought.... ;)
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:59 am

You have to remember, I have been conversing online since 1981. I've seen it all.

One thing that everyone has to remember is that blood sports like deer hunting mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. I've been castigated for using a treestand when I discussed deer hunting with my hosts in Scotland. I have been called a Booger-Eating Moron in an online forum for the simple reason that I hunted with a 30-06 and and Trailer Trash for shooting a Remington 742.

Then there's this:

This is my son from back in 2008 and the doe he bagged. That photo got banned on MySpace. I protested and the photo got unbanned. Still, somebody found the photo offensive. I've heard that a lot actually. We hang our deer head up. There is not reason for it except that was the way I was taught. It is fast and efficient. We do it that way for all deer, except the ones we intend for taxidermy. You should hear the criticisms! I'm disrespecting the game (huh?) .

Look, the photo that started this thread is offensive to me. I cannot imagine getting my picture taken in that way, but there is a long line of folks who think I'm a cretin. Go figure.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:37 am

This isn't criticism, but an honest question. Why do some people hang their deer by the neck, instead of using a gambrel and hanging them by the hind legs? Is it an area thing, or what? Down here we hang 'em with the head down, and split the chest cavity prior to hoisting them, which makes it easy for all of the entrails to be removed and end up in the "gut" bucket.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

croz2173

Postby croz2173 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:11 am

Must be customary to what area you're in. I live in PA and i've never known anyone to take a deer out of the woods without gutting it first.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:34 am

Well, if you want to take the word of a bunch of Frenchies who found my pics offensive, the reason why I hang them like that is to desecrate the game and cheapen the hunting experience for all. It's a long story, but that's the meat of it.

In reality, the reason I started hanging them like that is that I was taught that way. I was taught by my hunting buddy, while hunting in Kentucky, but he was from Alabama. I had no idea that this was considered "wrong" in many parts of the world until I started getting comments online. By then, I'd been hanging deer head up for twenty years.

I have since did a little bit of sleuthing and found out this is mostly a Southern thing. It makes sense. The guy I picked it up from hailed from Alabama. I have also heard it speculated that this has more to do with warm-climate tactics. It is very quick and efficient.

Instead of a gambrel, I use a 2 foot length of chain with an S-hook on the end. The hook goes around the chain like a noose and holds the neck tight. For about 80% of our deer kills, I can roll a truck right up to the carcass, lift it onto the bed and drive it back to the meat pole. From there, I use a block and tackle to hoist the deer out of the truck, and clean the deer. All the entrails fall into a gut bucket. From the shot to being on the way to the processor can be less than an hour.

I've done it all sorts of ways. Head-up, head-down, on the ground, etc. What I like about the head-up method is that all the viscera is being pulled down by gravity. For the most part it falls out on its own. All I have to do is help it along. It all ends up hanging by the esophagus and trachea at the end, and they're pulled taught. They're easy to cut at that point. On the other end, after I have everything dropped down into gut bucket, I lower the carcass. Once it's on the ground, I saw through the pelvis, guide the rectum through and then cut it off.

EDIT:

In regards as to why drive it back to camp before cleaning, I got a bunch of reasons. As I said, about 80% of the deer we kill are accessible by truck. The work goes much faster if you have all your tools, etc. right at hand. In most instances it is faster to take the deer to the tools than the tools to the deer. About 20% of the deer we kill don't get handled that way. The most common reason is that they're too big or they died at the bottom of a ravine or both. In that case, I've got everything I need packed and ready to go-- knives, saws, lights and rigging. I've gutted in the moonlight with nothing but a knife and a flashlight, enough times I can tell you it is much easier to gut at the pole under halogen work lights.

The keys here are time and temp. A normal morning kill is going to be at 40F. A normal afternoon kill will be at 50F. That gives me about a 2 hour window to get the carcass opened up. Most hunters would not think anything of letting a deer go an hour without being cleaned. Mine are usually being driven to the processor in an hour.

Back to the original point:
I didn't mean for this to become a head-up vs. head-down discussion. The point I was trying to make is that I did this whole head-up thing, because I was taught that way. I wasn't trying to make a statement. So much of what we find abhorrent in other people's hunting pictures are that way. As much as I find that guy's odd pose obnoxious, I'm not going to condemn him.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to General Discussions