early season or during the rut

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Topdogg

early season or during the rut

Postby Topdogg » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:08 am

In my latest issue of d&dh someone had an article that said they see the most deer activity early in the season or late in the season...concerning bucks..instead of the rut. My question is would it be better to take a weeks vacation as soon as the season starts (sep. 28) or wait till november. The past 2 years I have taken off the first week of november without any sucess. I might take the first week of archery this year. Anyone else have better results early in the season?

rthomas4

Re: early season or during the rut

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:01 am

I believe it's dependent on your area, the buck to doe ratio, food sources, and overall deer population. Down here, I actually see fewer bucks during the rut, but the ones I do see, tend to be bigger and older. Of course since my season opens Aug. 15th, I've usually killed a nice buck before the middle of Sept., when I can start killing does. Since I plant food plots, use corn for bait, and also hunt with dogs in the swamps, it's hard to compare what goes on down here with parts of the country that have different rules, and totally different types of terrain. Luckily, I don't have any limits on the number of bucks I can kill during the season, so I'm not as concerned with what many might consider the optimum time. Also, I pretty much deer hunt every single day from the opener to the last day which is Jan. 1st. Using trail cameras allows me to identify the animals I want to kill, and helps me pattern their movement so I can set up at the right time and place to achieve my hit list.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:24 pm

I have been thinking of doing this, I have taken my nephew out the last two youth seasons and have never seen deer so curious and relaxed. if the weather is cool enough for deer to be a bit playful a few light grunts bring them in close. regardless if that works or not I`m going to hunt the early muzzleloader season also and try to tag both my bucks before november starts. I think i have enough years left i can always go back to what the general consensus says to do the rest of my years. I will miss seeing bucks just out doe cruising mid day though. good luck whatever you decide.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:35 am

I took two of my best archery bucks on the Opener in Indiana, but that was years ago when Opening Weekend was mid-October.

Where I am hunting now, in Northern KY, the harvest of deer in the first month or so of season is pretty dismal. In early September, it is usually too hot to get much action. I always preferred mid-October on for archery, especially the "False Rut" that seems to happen in our area from mid-October until about the first of November.

It is all going to depend on where you hunt. Some places I've seen deer in the early phases of rut behavior clear back in late September.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:57 am

Down here, it's general consensus that rut begins time the bucks shed their velvet and lasts until they shed their antlers. I've seen new born fawns in April, June, August, October, and December, so if the bucks could keep hard horn year round, I honestly believe they would breed year round.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:51 pm

I take my Maryland hunting trip for the season opener (early-mid September) and during the rut (mid-late November). By far, I see the most deer and bucks during these times. Last year I saw 7 bucks in one morning chasing a doe and managed to take an old broken horned 10pt (photo and story at www.deer30outdoors.com/maryland-rut-in-full-swing/ ) If I were you, I would continue to hunt these times and hang in there and be patient. Maybe examine the other aspects of the hunt to see why you may not be having any luck like approach, set up, scent control, etc. or get creative with calls. I have written several articles about all these topics at www.deer30outdoors.com Just search the keywords.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:49 pm

I hunt everyday I can get out, but if I had to pick one week here in Illinois it would be that last week in Oct.. If the weather is right, I can rattle bucks in that are ready and before they get connected with does.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Return to General Discussions