Hunting this year with little preparation

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
MZS

Re: Hunting this year with little preparation

Postby MZS » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:52 am

First_Gen wrote:
MZS wrote:Actually, this year I am almost more prepared than usual. I built two natural blinds on trails I scouted out last winter on public land and scouted out another spot this summer on more public land. Got some screens (shields) made with natural materials put up to hide behind on several tree stands on our property and have a nice box stand ready for gun hunting. I think the $200+ a week grocery bills to feed my 4 teenagers have been motivating me to get more deer in the freezer! Now I need to get out and start shooting my bow - that is a 2+ week endeavor just to get needed strength back. Sept 14th is the start up by us so I have exactly one month - better start shooting today!

Nothing beats a public land sweet spot that you can tell no one messes with. I found one this year that I will most certainly hunt...the approach is across a river and up a gulley about a half mile. Go where no one else wnats to couldn't be more true.

Another variation of that is to hunt public land not far from the parking lot or a road (less than 100yds) - most hunters overlook these types of spots. This is what I do - I also like that there is less chance of spooking deer. I try to avoid the spots that "look like good hunting areas" that are on some old logging road or at the end of some dead end road - hunters seem to flock to these spots. I am mostly talking archery hunting here. A good way to find such spots is to scout around a bit right after the gun season (or as I am "still" hunting (stalking) during muzzle loading late season). If there is snow on the ground but no old or fresh hunter tracks, then it is an area that is left alone. Also this is a great time to scout out new areas.

First_Gen

Postby First_Gen » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:33 pm

MZS wrote:Another variation of that is to hunt public land not far from the parking lot or a road (less than 100yds) - most hunters overlook these types of spots. This is what I do - I also like that there is less chance of spooking deer. I try to avoid the spots that "look like good hunting areas" that are on some old logging road or at the end of some dead end road - hunters seem to flock to these spots. I am mostly talking archery hunting here. A good way to find such spots is to scout around a bit right after the gun season (or as I am "still" hunting (stalking) during muzzle loading late season). If there is snow on the ground but no old or fresh hunter tracks, then it is an area that is left alone. Also this is a great time to scout out new areas.

All excellent tips, thank you.

I found my spot by accident. I was following a narrow trail through some pretty thick bedding right along a natural drainage point. I had misread the topo and thought I was following a larger gully. I crested the high point to a "flat" on the other side of the hill. I couldn't believe what I found. Multiple rubs on 4-6 inch trees, two buck trails and three doe trails all intersecting. Just beyond was the gully I though I was on, so I had the water source. I had just gone though the bedding so I had that. I came back a few weeks later to make some ambush spots and clear lanes rather inconspicuously. On the way out I found it, a group of oaks about 75 yards from the "hub." The best part is using that gully for access, it keeps me quite, low, scent free to an extent, and out of the wind.

I can only hope no one wants to go that far in, the only evidence was a rather dated bottle of Pepsi. The whole quite trek is about 3/4 to a mile in, and that is the easiest access. Plus, I will be on the ground in a ghillie, will park farther away from the spot, get in early, and hunt the day.

Another piece of advice for scouting at least (and its what I did) is to walk in looking like a "normal" person; you don't know who could be watching. That means park farther away, no camo, and a regular back pack. While this may seem to the point of paranoia, I am not doing work for someone else. In that back pack is my scent free set cloths, boots, and shears. When you get in, clear the ambush spot that blends into the area and no high built brush blinds, but rather build around what is in front of you and behind you. Keep the "door" at an off angle. Obviously no string, netting, or man made materials. And look back on the area 10, 20, and 30 yards away to see how well it looks. For shooting lanes cut close to the ground and cover up with leaves. And only cut the minimum needed, or anything that will show a potential problem during the season.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:36 am

Glad to see You back Sierra and that Your doing fine after Your Surgery!

Congratulations on getting Married...!!! ;)

I think You'll do fine this year Hunting,as long as You know the area most things will stay the same as far as rub lines,ground scrapes etc...,good thing is if You don't go in there much chances of scaring a nice Buck that You didn't know was around will be less.Have You ever thought of getting one of the trail cameras that will e-mail You a picture?We hunt a large Lease and I keep wanting to get one and set it up there because we have limited access and after we plant our food plots we don't go there til oct to scout and hang our stands then we stay out til open morning of Rifle Season.Each year we usually harvest a very nice Buck because of the low Hunting Pressure there!

Nice to see You back and Your smiling face here at D & DH...hope You get a nice Doe and a Big Ol Buck this Season! :mrgreen:

Previous

Return to General Discussions