how can i find the bucks?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
jonboy1984

Re: how can i find the bucks?

Postby jonboy1984 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:49 pm

What state and what region of the state do you hunt??? Do you hunt private or public?? Is it all hilly hardwoods or is there grassy marsh and swamps ???

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:07 pm

I have a question kinda along these lines, actually.

The land where I hunt has three existing ladder stands that are up in good positions year-round. When I can scout, I only go close enough to the stands to verify there has been deer traffic. Each of these stands is in a good place, so it allows me to choose a stand based on the wind. And, I have seen deer while sitting in these stands.

My question is, despite the evidence that deer seem to have adapted to these stands' presence, I wonder what the reigning opinion might be about how much the stands being there affects the deer and their movements. These stands have been there for many years. Would you presume it to be better to have a stand always just be there? Or would a newly placed stand be better? Just curious what others' experience has been.

The other factor, is that I know that another two gentlemen have permission to hunt the property, and one of them uses these stands. Of course I can't be sure how careful he is, since we have always hunted different seasons. If he should bump deer near one of these stands, is it natural to presume the deer would associate the disruption with the stand, or no, since they have been there so long?

The reason I ask is because this year I have no time really and hardly a budget to invest in preparing for hunting properly, so I will be utilizing these stands rather than setting up my own, as I intend to do next year. I have a spot near some water I'd like to try, but I also though about another stand setup specifically for those deer that may be avoiding the permanent stands when others are there.

Hope this made some sense!
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:57 pm

When you figure a REALLY old deer to be 8 or 9 years old, any stand that's been there longer has been there for the entire lives of the resident deer. I don't think that deer will look at a stand and recognize it the way we do, as long as it doesn't move or smell out of place.

I put up a ladder stand in a tree where I hunt, and killed a deer from it that season and several deer in the years since. I've left it out ever since. (I do check the straps and everything every year to make sure it's still safe) I have trail cam footage of a family group of does coming along a trail that actually cuts between the ladder and the tree. I've had friends tell me that they have walked up on deer bedded at the base of their ladder. So, I don't believe that a tree stand by itself is going to impact deer at all once it has become an established part of the scenery. One of the things I look for when I first start scouting an area is evidence of old deer stands. I figure if a spot was good for a hunter in years past, then unless something major has changed I should be good today.

As to other hunters using an area and possibly bumping deer or leaving human scent around, YES that will alert the deer to the fact that humans are in the area. They won't so much start looking at the stand, or even the tree the stand is in (unless the hunter is getting busted while in the stand, movement and noise, etc...) as they will simply try to avoid the areas of the timber where they encounter the intrusions.

If you are hunting during gun season, it may be worth your while to carry a bucket/collapsible chair in to try to hunt from one of the other places you have in mind. I've had really good luck sitting on the ground in places where there's nowhere at all to hang a treestand, especially the first time or two I sit there.

Any chance of getting in contact with the other hunter and talking strategy? You may get some tips you haven't known about.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

MZS

Postby MZS » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:17 pm

Sierra wrote:I have a question kinda along these lines, actually.

The land where I hunt has three existing ladder stands that are up in good positions year-round. When I can scout, I only go close enough to the stands to verify there has been deer traffic. Each of these stands is in a good place, so it allows me to choose a stand based on the wind. And, I have seen deer while sitting in these stands.

My question is, despite the evidence that deer seem to have adapted to these stands' presence, I wonder what the reigning opinion might be about how much the stands being there affects the deer and their movements. These stands have been there for many years. Would you presume it to be better to have a stand always just be there? Or would a newly placed stand be better? Just curious what others' experience has been.

The other factor, is that I know that another two gentlemen have permission to hunt the property, and one of them uses these stands. Of course I can't be sure how careful he is, since we have always hunted different seasons. If he should bump deer near one of these stands, is it natural to presume the deer would associate the disruption with the stand, or no, since they have been there so long?

The reason I ask is because this year I have no time really and hardly a budget to invest in preparing for hunting properly, so I will be utilizing these stands rather than setting up my own, as I intend to do next year. I have a spot near some water I'd like to try, but I also though about another stand setup specifically for those deer that may be avoiding the permanent stands when others are there.

Hope this made some sense!

My experience on my own land bow hunting at 20 yds has been that no matter how badly I get busted on one particular permanent stand, all was well and good the next season. And this permanent stand is fairly well concealed in some cedar trees. But no matter how well it is concealed, once I get good and busted, season is over on that stand - they will zero in on it every time, even if I am well hidden and take my invisible pills (just kidding on the pills :) ). So based on that I believe that if you can keep it somewhat concealed, you can have it there year after year. The deer seem to forget over that much time. If it sticks out like a sore thumb, then perhaps a different story. And btw this was a home-made ladder stand with a small platform enclosed by 3 trees and a swiveling seat. The ladder rungs nailed to trees (faded treated wood) was visible to deer but not the platform or seat.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:43 am

Thank you for the good information guys. Funny you mention about evidence of old stands, Deebz, because there is a spot with this old stand that's really just broken up wood leaning against a tree, but I thought it looked like a good spot. Then another hunter put up his ladder stand there. :-) Maybe I can edge him out next year, ha.

Now I just can't wait to go hunting. I never did get busted (that I knew of) in any stand that I used, and I changed up daily based on the wind and not sitting in one spot too long. One of them was my favorite until the farmer took down the standing crops.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:59 am

All of my stands have been up for at least 5 years or more. Some of them are ladder stands, some are tower blinds, and I have one shooting house. The deer are just as accustomed to them as they would be if an old broken down piece of farm machinery was sitting there. Every year, I kill deer out of three particular stands, and I always manage to either see deer, kill deer or get trail cam pictures of deer near every one of them. Counting all of my permanent stands, just on my 75 acres or so, I have six locations that stay up year 'round. On our dog club, we have at least a dozen permanent stands for still hunting, and some of them have been in place 20 years or more. Those stands are used by every member of the club during the season..........and some of those guys smoke and eat in the stands; but we still kill deer out of them.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:13 am

rthomas4 wrote:All of my stands have been up for at least 5 years or more. Some of them are ladder stands, some are tower blinds, and I have one shooting house. The deer are just as accustomed to them as they would be if an old broken down piece of farm machinery was sitting there. Every year, I kill deer out of three particular stands, and I always manage to either see deer, kill deer or get trail cam pictures of deer near every one of them. Counting all of my permanent stands, just on my 75 acres or so, I have six locations that stay up year 'round. On our dog club, we have at least a dozen permanent stands for still hunting, and some of them have been in place 20 years or more. Those stands are used by every member of the club during the season..........and some of those guys smoke and eat in the stands; but we still kill deer out of them.

I could go back to smoking! Haha, just kidding. But seriously, glad to hear. Has me more hopefuly for this season.

Previous

Return to General Discussions