"Full Milk Sacks"

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
buckwild

"Full Milk Sacks"

Postby buckwild » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:21 pm

I was checking out videos on youtube to see other techniques to field dressing and for boning out deer. One of the videos had a guy field dressing a doe that still had what he called "full milk sacks". I've harvested a fair share of deer here in Northern Illinois, but have never ran across this. I always figured the fawns are long weened by the time hunting season rolls along in October. I know that the breeding phase is longer in the South than it is in the North. Is this more common in the South due to a doe being bred later in the year? Any Northerners have this happen? I think I would rather pass on a doe if the fawn was so young it still needed momma's milk.
Semper Fidelis!

kellory

Re: "Full Milk Sacks"

Postby kellory » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:39 pm

yes, I have taken a couple like that. It is not something that is easy to see from a treestand. Did not notice it the last time until we started skinning.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:59 pm

interesting. well I must be shooting more milk drinkers than milk providers! first time for everything...
Semper Fidelis!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:58 pm

I ain't going NEAR this one!!!! :o
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:35 am

I have seen fawns try and suckle maybe half a dozen times over the years while I was hunting. In each case the fawn was rebuffed by the doe. If I take a doe late in November, she will almost invariably still producing milk.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:53 am

Killing a dry doe is almost unheard of down here, whether she's killed in September or at the end of December. I've seen new fawns in January and I've seen new fawns in July, August, and even November. I've come to the conclusion that here in SC, as long as the bucks have hard antlers, and a doe that hasn't been bred can be found, they'll breed no matter how early or late in the season. With our season opening in August, we have a moratorium on killing does until September 15th, when we can begin using our extra tags that are available to purchase. Then beginning in October, just about every Saturday till Jan. 1st is a doe (antler less) day. Once the fawns are able to graze the crop fields and food plots, they can easily survive without the doe.......plus other does in the herd will often "adopt" the motherless fawns. I try not to purposely kill a doe if I know she has a fawn with her; but sometimes the little bustards won't show themselves until after the doe has been shot; but normally the fawns, followed by the yearlings will pop out first and then the old doe will make her entrance into the food plot.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

antlerking69

Postby antlerking69 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:09 pm

I've had milk sacs here in Northern Wisconsin in November.

Return to General Discussions