morning hunt questions

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
croz2173

Re: morning hunt questions

Postby croz2173 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:41 pm

deerhunter97 wrote:well sir, I can assure you that I am a person, and this garbage you are talking about must happen a lot. However, if posting about how to kill nocturnal deer is not a legitimate post, I must have the wrong forum.

I sincerely apologize. There is quite a bit of spam that pops up here and with the reference to swamp donkey, and it being your first post, I mistakenly assumed it was spam. Honestly was wondering if it was a person paid to go to hunting forums and talk about a product, or some kind of program that posted things like that automatically.

Once again I am truly sorry and did not mean to put you or your methods down in any way.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:46 am

If you give us all some coordinates so we can see it on Google Earth, we might be able to help more. Just from your description, however, I can tell you that wherever the bottleneck is, if you were to put in a plot of something tasty, you might have deer congregating there.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:23 am

If all you are seeing is does, it's a good possibility that your buck to doe ratio is skewed. Start killing does!! Besides, they eat better than bucks, and I've never figured out a way to cook antlers that made them edible.

As for feeding deer..........I plant food plots in order to attract the deer and hold 'em on my small acreage, I use bait to pull 'em out of the thick stuff that I can't get into. That's also why I'm in a dog club where we hunt in the swamps. If we didn't use dogs to run 'em, we'd never see 'em, especially this year with all of the water in the swamps and our access to 2/3rds or our lease has been eliminated due to the floods we had that washed out our bridges and roads.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

deerhunter97

Postby deerhunter97 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks all! But I'm still going to have to research what to do. So many pals of mine have the same problem, and I'm trying to change these nocturnal deer. I guess I'm not in Iowa! If anyone lives down here and has success hunting lowcountry SC. Feel free to share your tactics! :D

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:18 pm

deerhunter97, I'm in Hampton County, smack dab in the middle of the SC lowcountry, so everything I've suggested is exactly what I do. If you'd like to see pictures of the two deer I killed just last week, go to the SC forum down below in the states section. Like I've said, pay attention to the moon, the wind, bedding areas, water, and food! If all else fails, get some guys and a pack of beagles and run 'em out!!!!!!!!!!! I do that down here, too!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:26 pm

I will add my 2 cents.

I read the entire thread, and noted a similar trend in your thoughts.

You want to "change" the deer, so that they perform in the way in which you would like them to.. almost like training a bear to ride a unicycle or a dog to sit down.

You are missing the point. The deer are going to be where the deer are, when they are there.

Your job as a hunter is to identify your target, collect information, analyze that information, make an educated assessment, and then position yourself to intercept the deer during shooting hours.

The deer are at your corn pile during the dark, but probably less than 150-200 yards away during shooting time.

Therein lies the answer.

1. Determine where the deer are heading after they feed at your pile. That would most likely be their bedding area.
2. Stay out of the bedding area.
3. Determine the path in which they travel to get from food to bed.
4. Determine the right conditions (wind, thermals, etc.) to properly intercept the deer.
5. Set up a stand, blind, etc.
6. Hunt the intercept point along the travel route when the conditions are right.

Hope this helps. You have to change the way that YOU think and act, not the way the deer do.
"You can overdo anything."

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:37 pm

I tried to post a response to this yesterday, but I basically had the same opinion as USN_Sam... There really isn't a whole you can do to change how a deer is behaving naturally. You have to adapt to the deer. Your best bet to shooting them from a tree in daylight is to figure out how to intercept them between food and bed....

Other than a deer drive, like rthomas mentioned, there's not really any way to get deer to move/act like you want them to.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Deebz wrote:I tried to post a response to this yesterday, but I basically had the same opinion as USN_Sam... There really isn't a whole you can do to change how a deer is behaving naturally. You have to adapt to the deer. Your best bet to shooting them from a tree in daylight is to figure out how to intercept them between food and bed....

Other than a deer drive, like rthomas mentioned, there's not really any way to get deer to move/act like you want them to.

Basically what "Daddy" Deebz ;) here is saying is that if you want to get these deer you have to HUNT them.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Previous

Return to General Discussions