Best states for Deer 2013

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

Best states for Deer 2013

Postby Sailfish » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:59 am

Guess the secret about KY is def out of the bag now

A study was done (best available collection/research methods) on the best states for deer.
Of course IL, IA, KS are typically considered "the ones".

So this "study" took into account a few factors for their list:
-Public land in each state to gauge opportunity.
-Trophy production using B&C and P &Y typical and non-typical from 2002-2012
-Average annual harvest numbers, hunter density and overall reputation for each state (they assigned a value to these 3 area's then totaled).

Onto the list::

20.New York
19.South Dakota
18.Pennsylvania
17 Iowa
16.Georgia
15.Minnesota
14.Nebraska
13.Mississippi
12.Kansas
11.Virginia
10.Illinois
9.Ohio
8.INdiana
7.Texas
6.Idaho..........Idaho???
5.Arkansas
4.Kentucky
3.Missouri
2.Wisconsin
and numero uno................

Oklahoma....OK!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

shaman

Re: Best states for Deer 2013

Postby shaman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 pm

It is all how you want to slice things up.

Earlier this year, KY was determined to be the best deer hunting state by Outdoor Life. However, as youpicked things apart you realize a lot of the criteria are rather subjective in and of themselves.

I question the whole idea of using B&C and P&Y as a major determinant. KY probably has a fairly high number of people that do not consider record books all that worth while. I know of several serious B&C-capable buck that were never registered. I've got one on the wall that would probably make it that has not been so much as officially measured. All you need is a few guys more than average willing to register their trophies and now you have significant skew in the results. Going the other way, all you need is a few extra guys that need to get that meat stowed in the freezer and hide the rack, and you have things skewed the other direction.

OK? Sure whatever. Me? I think anywhere in the Ohio River flowage is probably going to have the potential for top-notch hunting. My personal favorites would be Ohio for archery and KY for rifle and smokepole.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

MZS

Postby MZS » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:49 pm

I would not put too much stock in these rankings. I know there is some great hunting in WI, but far north by me there are very few deer. A guy living near me that I know that hunts trophies goes down to Illinois. There is a lot of public land up north though. And if you get south of us a bit, you get a really nice mix of swamp, farms, and big woods along with winters that are not quite so harsh. I have a feeling it is that way in most states - a lot of variation within the state.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:29 am

There are "NO" Big Deer in Missouri,please don't come here to hunt them as You will be disapointed! LOL :lol: ;)

Return to General Discussions