self-made bows

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Deebz

self-made bows

Postby Deebz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:46 pm

Anybody ever make their own longbow? I've always thought it would be awesome to turn a tree into a bow and use it to kill a deer. I've recently acquired a really nice chunk of Osage (hedge) and have been watching a LOT of youtube videos and visiting self-bow sites. I know several of you guys use more primitive archery gear, I just wondered if there was anyone else that had any success actually crafting their own.

any tips/advice/resources you can suggest?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Re: self-made bows

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Deebz: Go here.....

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/THREADSx2.CFM

There's probably several THOUSAND years of accumulated stickbow experience on that site, and they will be more than happy to answer any and all questions you may have. When you get to the point of building one I can refer you to a place were you can buy any of the materials/tools that you will need.

BTW...the kind of home made bow you are talking about is refered to as a "selfbow", just FYI.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:34 pm

Similar to WW I hunt with my recurve or longbow. I absolutely love it and rarely touch my compound or "wheelie" bow anymore.

In addition the site that WW gave you, try tradgang.com

Also, Traditional Bowhunter magazine is awesome!! Great stories, rare product placement, and none of the hunting celebrity crap u find other places.
"You can overdo anything."

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:52 pm

This should help as well Deebz, http://www.howtohistory.com/video-tutorials/
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to General Discussions