question !!! ???

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Homunculi

question !!! ???

Postby Homunculi » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:06 pm

i have a friend that is bad about cleaning his game ... already asked kelroy about this ,,,,

be it a squirrel ... rabbit ... turkey ... as soon as it is cut and the innards are exposed or the smell he gags or start vomiting
so every time me or another friend ends up driving to his house to gut or dress his game for him ...

i do not mind ... but i feel this is getting old ..... does anyone have any idea that can get him to clean his own kill???

i am not trying to be a jerk but i gut my own .. i do not mind helping but i do my own .....
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

shaman

Re: question !!! ???

Postby shaman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:03 am

I've had a couple bad ones. I've gagged. I've wretched. I kept on cutting, because I knew nobody else was going to get it done. It was just me and the deer. I think the problem is that you guys keep coming when he calls.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:23 am

I'd start charging backstraps for every kill I helped take care of... I don't have any problem helping people with deer that are newbies, and I've been known to offer to clean all the pheasants when I get asked to bird hunt with other people dogs and permission. However, if this dude has been at it long enough to be consistently successful then he needs to man up and start doing the dirty work too.

My older brother went fishing down to the creek one time. He came home and told me about this really nice bass he caught. He told me that he laid it up on the bank, but then when he left he decided he didn't want to mess with cleaning it, so he left it there. I got on my bike and rode down to the spot to pick up the fish. I was really pissed at him, and quit going fishing with him for the longest time. I have no respect for people who would risk wasting game. The dirty work is part of it.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:39 am

As Golem already has my response, I will hold mine for the last, to see if any better answers crop up.;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:42 am

Quit babysitting him! It's one thing to help a buddy out; but in this case it sounds like he's figured out he can call on you and get away with not doing the work. I'd tell him I'll show him one more time and after that he's on his own........unless he's either going to give up some of the meat or come across with some cash or other work in kind!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Going rate for the processor is still @ $55
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:29 pm

he is not new to hunting ..

he can shoot them drag them out .. lift them into the truck .. cape them butcher them

but when it comes to field dressing ... he vomits at the site or smell of guts ...

he is a good guy but what i am afraid of is he might get one and no one will be able to get there in time
then he will have one go bad on him ... and a wasted deer and tag ...
:shock:
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:40 pm

I guess he could try to put a few drops of vanilla or some other scent on a cotton ball and stick it up his nose to see if it helps. You did mention sight or smell so it may not get him anywhere but its a try. I admit I was worried about this same thing when I got back into hunting luckily I never had a bad reaction to it. He may just have to quit shooting deer or pay money.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:25 pm

Well the first thing he could start doing with small game is to NOT wait until the end of the day to clean his game, especially if he's doing it indoors in a sink!

I've had my hands in guts since I was a kid and it doesn't bother me in the least, but even I get to gagging if I gut a rabbit or bird 8 or 10 hours after I've shot it in an enclosed area. I gut EVERYTHING in the field, usually while they're still warm.

Oddly enough, I have a very good friend who's a farmer who's slaughtered cattle and hogs his whole life but get's nauseous as heck if he guts a deer! If I'm with him I just do it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:10 am

What is the "field dressing" thing y'all mention? When I kill a deer, I either take it to the house or to the skinning shed down at the dog club. We have troughs, hoists, lights, electricity for the saw, and now the walk-in cooler is working again!!!!!!!! I've never "field dressed" anything in my life.........the joys of hunting private land, especially when the house is within 500 yards or less from all of my stands on my place. Even so, when I was a kid, we always dog hunted and had a skinning area on the club where every deer was taken and skinned, gutted, and cut up. Down here, people don't have a clue about field dressing.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Next

Return to General Discussions