Treestand Skirts

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Treestand Skirts

Postby shaman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:22 am

No, this is not about crossdressing hunters.

I want your comments about the problems I've had putting camo blinds up across the shooting rail of my buddy stands.

Here's the blog entry:
Tree Stand Update

The short of it is that every solution I have tried seems to have problems. My current idea is a bit complicated but it solves most of the troubles I have incurred in the past.

I would like to pick your brain. What's worked for you?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Deebz

Re: Treestand Skirts

Postby Deebz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:12 am

The hem solution is what first came to my mind. I've hunted out of blinds with a skirt before, and it is nice to feel a little more concealed. Cutting some of the wind out is always a bonus as well.

I don't know if you or anyone you know is handy with a sewing machine, but could you possible sew the hem in rather than use the adhesive? would that give you any benefit for longevity of the hem?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:29 am

I have run into this problem before. I had the best results with a thin camo cloth skirt that I bring out with me. I added grommets in pairs and the cloth rolls over the shooting rail and then zip tied. The bottom is a sewn sleeve with a thin cable with loops on both ends. Once in the stand, I pass one loop through the other and draw the bottom together like a casting net (it mostly closes off the bottom) then clip it off to my hook strap on the free(to carry pack, binos, and what not)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:33 am

I thought about that. I actually have my own sewing machine, a Husky. I use it to make camping and hunting projects. My last project was a musette bag for turkey hunting. I also made curtains for my deer blind using camo burlap, and shower curtain hangers with 54 cal lead bullets sewn in. However, if I get too far into discussing these projects, y'all might get the wrong idea-- treestand skirts and all.

If I had this to do all over again, I might stitch it instead of glue. However, I had the glue in an open caulk tube and thought I'd just experiment. It was actually pretty easy to do. I rolled the clothesline into the fabric and put a dab of glue every few inches and then pinched it together. I'm already 3 seasons into the current bunch of skirts. Eventually they're going to wear out, and the next batch will get stitched if the experiment works.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:39 am

I have a roll of material that was used by Westinghouse Corporation in the manufacture of linen Micarta. It's light grey on one side and a darker gray on the other. I just cut it to size and wrap all of my ladder stands and tower blinds with it. On the tower blinds, I staple the material to the wooden frame. On the ladder stands I use the plastic electrical ties on the top and bottom of the frames and on the vertical supports, just leaving the access points unattached. Since I have them in trees with the limbs and other natural foliage around the blinds, the wind blowing the material isn't distinguishable and over the years has never alerted the deer. This material does eventually rot and tear from the weather, but each year I check it and if needed, just replace it. I've seen similar material for sale at a few outdoors dealers, and it's available in a camo pattern or a solid green color with the prices based on whether or not it's camo. This stuff is semi-rubberized and will actually stretch so that it can be wrapped pretty tightly, which also eliminates flapping in the wind and repels water.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:14 am

What product name is it sold under? That sounds ideal.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:49 pm

I haven't tried this myself, but have seen it recommended. I doubt it will provide much wind block, but good cover. Watch at garage sales and such and pick up used artificial Christmas trees for little to nothing, and use the branches to add to your stands or blinds. They are usually a wire structure that can be bent to attach, or make a web of branches by attaching them together. I would think Zip ties would also work well. Perhaps you may be able to put them on the out side of some of those solid wraps you mentioned that silhouetted you, and have wind block too.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:43 am

Oooooooops! I should have mentioned that my roll of material was purchased by my dad from the factory when he was a Chemical Engineer and foreman for Westinghouse at the local Micarta plant prior to Westinghouse selling the factory to Nevamar. It's not commercially available, but back then surplus products were sold to the employees whenever overstock built up.

The material that is similar is sold at small shops and I've never seen it at any of the big box stores. The local guy down here just calls it "blind material", and sells it by the foot. If I can remember, the next time I go in his place, I'll see if it has a commercial brand name, unfortunately I don't go in very often as his prices are way too high and I have a friend who is a FFL dealer that I purchase guns and some ammo from whenever I need something. Everything else I get from either BassPro or Walmart.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:23 am

There's a Company that makes a long Blind You hang on a Tree and probably secure with a ratchet,it has a square tubed frame with a roof that is probably a good 6-8 feet tall.That might do the trick of covering Your ladder stand,it also has 3 or 4 Zip down windows and a front door that incorporates a long zipper for opening and closing.im thinking "Big Dog" or "Big Game" makes these Blinds and it might be Your solution?

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:10 am

DSCN9617_post20.jpg
DSCN9617_post20.jpg (275.82 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
DSCN9620_post20.jpg
DSCN9620_post20.jpg (254.16 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
I made frames from half inch PVC pipe painted black. I cover the frames with either burlap or die cut attached with wire ties or sometimes sewn on with braided casting line and my dad's old tent repair needle. The frames are held to the stand with wire ties. My original design had the front panel hanging from the shooting rail (again by wire tries) but I found that raising the rail up and holding the frame out of the way while climbing in with a back pack was kinda tough. Last year I began tying off the front panel to one of the side panels and swinging it out of the way to get in. All that's needed then is a way to hold it shut after I'm in the stand. For that I use rubber coated malleable wire sold as a gardening aid to tie up flower stalks. Works pretty good.

Next

Return to General Discussions