The bedding and the feeding?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
amancini

The bedding and the feeding?

Postby amancini » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:30 am

So with the season just starting i had a camera down at my swamp stand and saw numerous bucks and just deer in general within just a few days so figuring that i had put my stand down there it would be my primary stand this year...last night though i decided to check out the field stand and see how that was this year seeing as all of our corn was labeled as bad and cut early this year..i had to work around 530 so i started walking out around 445 (it doesnt get dark untill 7-715) and on my way out jumped 3 doe in our field at about 50 yard but no shot with the bow..however as soon as i spooked them i stepped off the trail into the woods to see if they looped around and noticed something strange..they didnt head toward the swamp instead they went up toward the pine trees which are virtual unexplored minus a couple hundred yards in or so..my question though is would they really choose to bed up in the pines rather than the swamp? Im considering sitting the swamp stand tomorrow morning and bringing a climber and finding a nice spot in the pines for the night..what do you guys think?

rthomas4

Re: The bedding and the feeding?

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:11 pm

They will often lay up in pines during the day and close to sundown so they can get back to the feeding areas and avoid crossing open land. I killed both of the deer that I've killed so far this season, as they were leaving stands of pines. One was in the afternoon and coming to a food plot and bait pile, the other was in the morning as it was leaving a food plot and traveling through pines and crossing a gas pipe line on the way to a bedding area.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to General Discussions