Scent Control vs. Cover Scents

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
allthingswhitetail

Scent Control vs. Cover Scents

Postby allthingswhitetail » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:25 am

I've got several questions about some products I have not tried below. The blog below lists my process to control scent. What I haven't done is introduced cover scents such as Evercalm. I also have an interest in the Ozonics machine. I'm using the Log6 on my gear and clothes, but have reservations on the Ozonics. Let me know your comments on the blog and these two particular products as I have never used them.

http://www.allthingswhitetail.com/atw-blog.html

Thanks,

Andy

rthomas4

Re: Scent Control vs. Cover Scents

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:56 pm

I also wash my clothes in scent free detergents, use scent free soap, shampoo, and deodorant, spray down with scent killer, but do not go to the extremes of getting dressed in the woods, since I'm leaving my house and going into basically my back yard to still hunt most of the time. When I'm going on a dog drive, I leave the house and drive to the club in my hunting clothes and boots, since scent control isn't an important aspect of hunting with dogs. I've never tried the Ozonics machine simply due to it being cost prohibitive for someone like myself who is living off of social security disability and trying to raise a 16 year old at the same time.

I have and do use the Evercalm product as well as it's companion VS-1. For an example check out my post and the picture in the South Carolina forum below, titled "#3 for the 2013 season". That old doe was killed directly down wind, with a five to seven mile per hour breeze blowing straight at her. I had sprayed down with Scent Killer and had smeared Evercalm on my boots prior to climbing into my stand that afternoon. This wasn't the first time I've killed deer in that situation, and I seriously doubt it will be the last. Over the years, since I started using Conquest Scent's products exclusively, I've had the opportunity to witness both bucks and does reactions to both the Evercalm and the VS-1 and I have killed bucks as they curled their lips and lifted their heads to breath in the scent of VS-1.. I know Evercalm smells exactly like a deer bedding area due to the fact that I've smelled the same identical scent during the preseason and have seen the does and fawns in their beds where the smell was coming from. I will not waste my money on other scent products and strongly recommend these products to any hunter interested in using cover and attractant scents.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:05 pm

I think back 50/60 years ago: there was no special soap to wash your cloths in, nothing you sprayed on your boots, no ladder or climbing stands. The stores didn’t have a special section just for flavored acorn block, swamp donkey etc. The fellows back then brought home just as many and just as good of deer as today. They spent time in the woods, knew where the deer food was and where they spent down time. I think today too much time and money is spent on gadgets and such thinking it will make things easier. Andy I like the comment made on your site (Phil from Alaska). Think of the phase that Phil used and I have heard similar many times,,,,” be in the woods without being there” Several times I have been pinned down by a deer, sitting there not moving and it would stare at me, not afraid but knowing something was there that wasn’t there before and usually ended up walking away. Just my opinion, no disrespect for anyone. ;) :)
Doug

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:07 pm

What do you see?
download (11).jpg
download (11).jpg (8.38 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
download (12).jpg
download (12).jpg (13.55 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
download (13).jpg
download (13).jpg (16.03 KiB) Viewed 1693 times

Some things we take much to seriously. No camo, No scent control (camp fires and pipes were common, food scents, and many hadn't bathed that week.), and whatever weapons they had.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:31 pm

I believe that as good as animals like deer can smell, cover scents are a waste of money...They smell you and the cover scent both...

I do believe that reducing one's odor is a help...

Hunting into the wind as much as possible is the most prudent and cheapest thing to do... :D

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:05 pm

After a week in the woods hunting and alot of time available to let my wheels spin I found out one thing, NOTHING beats time in the woods. If anyone of us could devote as much time to hunting large game as we do to make a paycheck. 90% of the sporting goods store shelves in our cities and towns would be devoted to womens makeup and purses. I only drew back my bow 5 times all week just for practice but it was the best week of hunting ever. Nothing you can buy off a shelf (except maybe the 600$ deer decoy) will trump time afield. The pics kellory posted are all the proof you need for that.

have a great season

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:34 am

I use sodium bicarbonate on myself and my clothes and that's about it. I use it in place of laundry detergent, and I also bathe in it.

That's it. The technique I use is about 25 years old. I found it in a magazine ( I think D&DH) at a time before there were products out there to suppress scent. It's worked all these years. It's cheap. I see no need to change.

My thoughts on this HAVE changed. First off, I think this whole idea of trying to find deer hunting success by buying something is goofy. Stuff is not where it is at. I was there-- I was where you are now, about 20 years ago. What I've seen since then is that once you start down the bunny hole of chasing invisible influences (like ozone and UV) you are into a cycle of obsessive buying that will drain checking accounts long before it shows any real effect on the deer. Kellory is right in posting those pics. You need to shake yourself loose. Deer are not THAT hard to kill.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:25 am

As mentioned, your not going to fool their nose.
Your not going to ever be 100% scent free.
But I don't see any issues with trying. If you can make them think your scent is old, or there isn't enough of your smell to alarm them to bolting......whether you upwind or downwind...........great!
If you can afford it (the time and/or money), and it works for you, have at it. There is nothing wrong with making attempts to conceal yourself and boosting your confidence in the pursuit to kill a deer.
If it raises your 'game', makes you feel invisible to the deer, then it may actually boost your abilities to be a better hunter.

Not everyone can live in the woods, not everyone has more than a few weekend days a year to hunt deer. You have family obligations, work obligations, whatever it may be. You get in the woods when you can, and you may not have the opportunities to become well versed on deer movement, bedding area's, rubs and scrapes, gosh, then throw in the majority hunt on public land......well have at it with the scent products. Carbon clothing, machines, breath gum, whatever.

I do it. I take my body washing, clothes washing, equipment cleaning and storage as seriously as I can.
My investment: $25 a year in spray, $10 in sodium bicarb, $7 in soap/detergent, and some plastic storage bins that I already own.
The chance to get in the woods and my feelings that I am invisible to deer..........priceless.
I still enter and leave my stands as discreetly as possible, I hunt stands that I think the wind is in my favor, and if my regime makes me even 5% more invisible, i'll take it. The investment is worth the outcome.

Shaman's program works for him, Steve Bartylla (not a bad hunter is his own right) goes bonkers on scent control, wipes his equipment with peroxide, his bathing, clothes, etc ...its extreme. John Eberhart, probably the best most successful public land archery hunter in our time...sold on the carbon clothing. All three are good hunters with different methods, all 3 have a different method for scent control. All 3 have one commonality.

FWIW, I don't use cover scents, but I do use dried oak leaves when I store my clothes/gear. I figure I hunt in oak hammocks, might not hurt, plus the leaves are free .
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:01 pm

Back when I started hunting, there weren't as many deer in SC, as there are now, and nobody ever heard of sitting in a tree stand, much less using a stick and string. The few folks who did hunt all hunted with dogs, and large groups of hunters who would take up positions around a block of woods, and a couple of drivers who would go in the woods with the dogs to help jump the deer.

Today's deer are much more plentiful, and have many more run ins with hunters and humans in general. I believe today's deer are more attuned to the smells associated with humans and as a result of more people hunting, they are smarter than the deer I hunted 50 years ago. Certainly the pictures that kellory posted are proof of what results the traditional deer camp hunters achieved; but those days are also a thing of the past for the most part.

I can still go on hound hunts where big numbers of hunters and dogs show up on some of the plantations down here, and it's not unusual to see 10 to 30 deer killed in one day of dog drive hunting; but even those aren't common any longer. Unfortunately, if the non-residents and the up-state politicians get their way, even the small dog hunting clubs will soon be a thing of the past.

Getting back to the topic, if cover scents and attractants are used in conjunction with hunting the wind, today's hunters, especially those of you who hunt with stick and string, benefit from those items; and as I posted, I have seen the benefits even though I'm a gun hunter
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:56 pm

gentleman, I am not suggesting that scent control is useless.I am saying that it is not the absolute that some people seem to think it is.
I am saying that learning how to hunt is more important than what you wear.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Next

Return to General Discussions