Scent Control vs. Cover Scents

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
rthomas4

Re: Scent Control vs. Cover Scents

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Down here apple scents and flavors actually scare the deer away. I tried adding some apple flavored attractant to some corn several years ago, and the deer wouldn't touch it.........the coons loved it!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:42 am

I was sitting in a small clearing surround by thick palmettos.
I was eating and apple and the core fell to the ground.
A doe came into the clearing from the other side.
She started easing through and her nose pointed into the direction of that core, she sniffed, and turned around and walked out the way she came.
Apple's aren't around these parts and she knew it
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:33 am

This past weekend, I was out putting the finishing touches on one of my stands. I was dressed only in my chore clothes and I was a day or two away from my last shower. Still, I managed to have a doe drop by for a nice visit . It got me to thinking, and it got me to thinking about this thread.

Here's the details:Encounter with the Doe

I look back over the past 30 years, and I realize how goofy I was over things like scent, camo, etc. In my defense, I have to say that there were dang few deer back then and it was hard to test out ideas. Now, I have them practically crawling up my leg at home. Still, for all the wrong-headedness, I did manage to see deer most times back then. In later years, I wondered how I could. There I was, mothballs in my pockets, a Jon-EE handwarmer in my coat belching naptha, no camo no UV spray. No scent bombs. No drag line.

The big thing I take away from all this is, looking back over 30-some years, is that deer are not all that hard to kill and that we over-think, over-spend, and over-do so much of all this. I did.

There is going to be a certain number of guys reading this that are going to say: "Sure, maybe with just a dumb doe. I am hunting trophy bucks!" Either that or they are going say, "Yes, but I want that winning edge!" or "Money is no object, because I don't have time to scout."

Truth is that in another week or so, that doe is going to have a nice fat buck trailing her everywhere. It is not like I was told back 30 years ago-- he is not prodding her out into the open while he sits back behind the bushes and watches. No, she is the one calling the shots. She is out in front and he is shadowing her. If she walks past, chances are he is going to be following.

Gotta run for now.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

huntsurf

Postby huntsurf » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:33 am

I know people who drive themselves crazy trying to be scent free to the point they seem to forget why they are hunting the love.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:29 am

You're playing my song, brother.

Back around 2000 or so it used to take me two trips to get settled in. I had to bring the climber and gear on one trip and the decoy the bow and the scents on the second. On the trip out between the two, I'd lay down the doe estrus or whatever so the scent would be "going the right way". Then I was setting up the decoy, laying out the scent bombs etc. etc. -- all this before I got up in the tree, put on my special suit and settled in. For a half-day morning hunt, I'd leave home at 0330 and arrive two hours before first light so I could have an hour in the stand before first light to let the scent settle-in. For an evening hunt, I'd leave the house at Noon and not be back before 10. If you'd asked me in January 2001 why I had to eat tag soup, I'd have told you it was because I wasn't being meticulous enough.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:26 am

huntsurf wrote:I know people who drive themselves crazy trying to be scent free to the point they seem to forget why they are hunting the love.

Funny, I thought it was the other way around........they perform all these activities BECAUSE they love the hunt. ;)

In either case, there is anecdotal evidence to support multiple views on the scent game. Each and every one of us has a lock-down example of why such and such needs to be performed or not.
I was talking to a wildlife officer pal who spends considerable time in the woods, day and night. Covered head to toe in bug spray, diet coke and whatever else he may have eaten or spilled on himself or his truck seats. MANY times while on the stake out or pursuit of the bad guys, game walks right up to him or lets him walk right past them. Same guy, during hunting season..........he can't stalk in socks, scent free, hidden my thick brush......closer that xxx yards of a deer.
Who knows what is what. I agree with a fella I listend to on an interview recently, {ill paraphrase} Deer number 1 priority isn't food, water, cover, bedding or sex............it's staying alive. Thats what it does"
I've said it about fishing and hunting and just about anything you attempt (fwiw doesn't mean I am correct either :lol: ) if what you think works, and it raises your game, boosts your confidence, you have success, then have at it. Nothing is wasted.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:23 am

Just this past Thursday evening, I was in a 20 foot ladder stand in a swampy bottom on a gas pipe line. The wind was blowing right down the pipe line from my left to right at 4-5 mph. I have a food plot planted on a small rise to the left of the stand, so I was paying close attention to that direction when suddenly for some reason I turned my head and glanced to my right. There at less than ten yards came a young six point buck. He spotted my movement and stopped dead still, stamped his right front foot a few times; but didn't budge till I said "boo". Then he almost turned inside out as he ran into the woods behind my stand, where he stopped and continued to stomp his feet and snort for several minutes.

I had showered with scent free soap and shampoo, used scent free detergent and Autumn Gold dryer sheets, as well as smeared EverCalm on the base of the tree I was in and had put some on some pine cones and tossed 'em out in the area. Maybe none of this stuff works and maybe this deer can't smell, I don't know; but I believe in it and will continue to use it.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:30 am

Sailfish: tell your WO buddy to change his socks before he goes hunting. That will do wonders :D

RThomas4: It sounds like the deer saw you move your head. That's something that no amount of scent-free whatever is going to stop. My only suggestion is that you find something to break up your form a little better. When I hunt out of a stand with no shooting rail or somewhere where my body is exposed, I use a camo poncho-- just a couple yards of cloth from the fabric store with a hole cut in the middle. It breaks up my form and makes me look like an amorphous blob to the deer. If they can't see the head-body-shoulder connection, they are more likely to you get away with a little head action.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:01 pm

Is it possible to penetrate the defense zone of a whitetail, without taking scent control precautions? Sure it is. I think any of us that have spent much times in the deer woods can relate some story where it has happened. Are you going to do it more consistently than if you use some very basic scent control practices? My experiences lead me to believe no.

I don't go over board, but when circumstances allow I use scent free detergents on my hunting clothes, scent free soap and deodorants on my person, and attempt to use the wind to my advantage. There are always exceptiosn to the rule, but there is also something to playing the odds.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Previous

Return to General Discussions